Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone!

I am new to this site and Goldwings too. I recently picked up my 84 in FLA. I have put about 400 miles on it and the only issue was starting. I assume it was original unit. It seemed slow and after running at temp for 20 minutes or so and shut down, would not not crank. Starter was engaging but not turning. Cool down for a hour and starts right up although slow crank. Pulled the starter last week and had it rebuilt by a local shop and it seems fine. Put it back in and it spun a few times and then engaged and the motor started. did this about 5-6 more time and felt ready to roll. Took it out for about 10 miles and brought it back in, shut it down and now I cannot get engine to crank. Starter spins, seems to be lined up with sprocket, but no crank. Have been working with Eagledriver and tricky1 from www.hondagoldwings.com. They suggested I try this site as well. Have had the starter in/out about 30 times and no luck. What is frustrating is this bike was cranking and running 48 hours ago after the rebuild so I do not suspect that to be the issue. The sprocket slides on the motor shaft with ease and I greased it up to help it out. Unit goes in without issue and I take it in straight so as not to move sprocket off center.

Don't think it is the clutch assy as I have not had any warning signs to indicate this.

Anyone had this issue? pls reply I am lost at this point.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum toolman! :waving:

Sounds like the starter clutch isn't engaging. Try adding a quart of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil)or Sea Foam to the engine oil (you may need to drain some oil off first) And ride it 200-300 miles. Then do an oil and filter change. Hopefully this will breakdown any varnish or old oil deposits and flush them out of the bike.

You may need to push start if it won't engage but hopefully this will get better quickly!

Worth a try!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

AZWinger is on the mark here.. The starter drives a chain which is wrapped around the clutch drim.. Inside are roller bearings that are spring loaded and ride up on a cam ramp.. When the starter is engaged, the rollers ride up and lock the chain and drum to the crank shaft and turn the engine.. If the rollers are sticking, inertia will not allow them to ramp up and lock...

On the other hand, I'm a little confused about the issue.. It looks like you are saying the starter is barely turning over as if the battery is weak.. If that is true, then one of two things is happening.. The starter rebuild has gone defunct, or you have another electrical problem.. You can jump the starter directly by putting the cables directly on the starter and ground.. If the starter spins over like mad and engages the engine, you've got a bad relay or positive battery cable. I've seen the cables corrode and shred which increases resistance. If you jump the starter from the battery posts, and it turns very slow, then suspect the cables or relay..

Let us know how this testing turns out.. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try tonight. I suspect battery to be good as previous owner replaced within the last year. (Champion brand) Seems to be strong. but I will remove from circuit and go direct to starter with a known good unit. Pulled the starter and ran it on the bench ,very strong. I did replace the positive cable from the relay to the motor so I know that is good. Should the drive chain be loose in both directions? It free wheels in a clockwise rotation and locks in the counterclockwise, (I assume this is the cranking direction). I will try the MMO if I can get it going today. If not it will sit until 9-1 as I am out of town till then. Bummer!!

Thanks again, will report back with results

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

toolman wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try tonight. I suspect battery to be good as previous owner replaced within the last year. (Champion brand) Seems to be strong. but I will remove from circuit and go direct to starter with a known good unit. Pulled the starter and ran it on the bench ,very strong. I did replace the positive cable from the relay to the motor so I know that is good. Should the drive chain be loose in both directions? It free wheels in a clockwise rotation and locks in the counterclockwise, (I assume this is the cranking direction). I will try the MMO if I can get it going today. If not it will sit until 9-1 as I am out of town till then. Bummer!!

Thanks again, will report back with results
A direct jump from the battery to the starter is the best check. If that works okay and the cable connections (including the ground) are good, it's probably the starter relay. If it still acts up the Sea Foam or MMO option iswell worth ashot. You don't mention how long the oil has been in this bike and what weight it is. An oil change might work wonders. I use Chevron DELO 400. It performed well in my 1200 and my 1500. It's a diesel engine oil and of very good quality. A gallon jug leaves a little extra after a change.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks exavid,

I will try that tonight as well. Oil was changed when I picked it up a month ago, 10-40 citgo brand with a filter. I was gonna drop it out once I had the kinks out and try the MMO. The bike has not seen too much road time over the last 2 yrs but tires, brakes, and battery are less than 1 yr and bike drives very solid and straight. Would be a lot better if it will crank. Winter is coming and still alot of good days I am missing.

Later

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

toolman wrote:
Thanks exavid,

I will try that tonight as well. Oil was changed when I picked it up a month ago, 10-40 citgo brand with a filter. I was gonna drop it out once I had the kinks out and try the MMO. The bike has not seen too much road time over the last 2 yrs but tires, brakes, and battery are less than 1 yr and bike drives very solid and straight. Would be a lot better if it will crank. Winter is coming and still alot of good days I am missing.

Later
10/40 sounds about right, drain a bit and stick in some Seafoam or MMO and see what happens.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey toolman :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey toolman :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:
Glad to see you going about your assigned duties!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the welcome!! Glad to be here and be able to tap into the knowledge and experience. I think this whole starter issue is leading to the starter clutch. I think you are right on AZwinger, the drive chain is locked in the direction of rotation, it free wheels in the opposite direction. I tried the paint on the sprocket trick and not a scratch so I know the splines are lining up. I tried the direct hookup to the starter with another battery and no difference so I know battery and solenoid are good. I even tried a rap on the case with a block of wood to see if it might jar the rollers lose. No luck. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Should the drive chain be free in both directions???? I think it should have a little travel before the rollers engage and then crank. Anyone ever checked this function of the clutch???? Unfortunately this will have to wait for a couple weeks as I am off to Phoenix for a little R&R. (I'd rather be riding but I have to keep peace in the family)

Toolman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.