Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

You guys are the best ! Have been reading and studying ,fixed radio,found two broken wires,and have taken the rear wheel off.
Had a drive line vibration and have determined the u-joint was loose.Any way of removing it with out taking the swing arm loose ?
I need to get the Clymer manual and am looking to e-bay.
Thanks so much for all the help I have already gotten

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Not according to the Honda manual, mine has 190,000 k on it and is ok check the rear drive splines before going to all that trouble

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks I'll check again.I was able to pry at the u-joint and all the movement seemed to be there. I could see the joint itself moving from side to side and thought that was it.Will recheck the splines in the morning

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ikesleeping wrote:
You guys are the best ! Have been reading and studying ,fixed radio,found two broken wires,and have taken the rear wheel off.
Had a drive line vibration and have determined the u-joint was loose.Any way of removing it with out taking the swing arm loose ?
I need to get the Clymer manual and am looking to e-bay.
Thanks so much for all the help I have already gotten
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet ikesleeping!:waving::waving:

I might be wrong, but I thought if you pulled the rear wheel and final drive it was possible to pull the drive shaft out. Don't know if that's so on the 1984 for sure, someone who knows will most likely chime in shortly, keep watching this channel.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I agree, this is the most helpful site I've seen about goldwings! You are correct when you remove the rear wheel and final drive, the shaft comes right out but the u-joint remains in the area at the top of the shaft drive housing. The u-joints are suposed to be bullet proof but it seems to be where the play is coming from. I am getting a vibration in overdrive going up hill at 2600 rpm and when I let off the throttle completly going down hill.
The puzzling thing is the bike only has 64000 miles on it. If nothing else I can always gather up all the parts and schelp them over to my local Honda dealer, get a bit of abuse, overcharged, and wait awhile.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I might be wrong, but I thought if you pulled the rear wheel and final drive it was possible to pull the drive shaft out. Don't know if that's so on the 1984 for sure, someone who knows will most likely chime in shortly, keep watching this channel.
Exavid, that is so on the 85 up but the 84 has a one piece U-joint/shaft affair that is a real pain to service. The rear control arm or engine must come out to get that baby out..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

All the 1200's are the same.. If you pull the final drive unit, the drive shaft will come out with it if the factory circlip is still in place.. If it was removed, the drive shaft will hang inside the swing arm..All you need to do is pull the shaft rearward and the u-joint remains in the front enclosed by the flex boot..

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hi ikesleeping :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Redwing, looking forward to gaining more knowledge and even being of help to others as my knowledge increases..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.