Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 84 Aspencade's cooling fan switch gave up the ghost after only 36 years and 189,000 miles. Local dealer says no longer available. I ordered 1 off ebay, from a top seller, which doesn't fit. Looks good, but the threads are smaller diameter. Hard to tell from a photo, but most on ebay look the same. I tried several online motorcycle supply stores but so far all show back-order or unavailable. Does anyone have personal experience of an alternative and compatible switch. I read that a Geo Metro 1988 would work, but local auto supply can't even find a Geo in their computer. Any thoughts?

Joe

·
Registered
991 Posts
Only 36 years and 189,000 miles, what shoddy construction. ;)
I seem to remember some threads here about that so maybe search here and goldwingdocs.
As an alternative, for the hotrod guys there are aftermarket switches that can just clamp to a radiator hose for electric fans. Some even have adjustable set points
And some that have a probe that goes in the radiator fins. Flex A Lite is one brand.

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
I read that a Geo Metro 1988 would work, but local auto supply can't even find a Geo in their computer. Any thoughts?
Have them look for Suzuki swift, same car.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
Maybe try and clean the switch you have. I did that with my original, with more miles on it, and it worked.

You have to really clean it...

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dennis, what kind of cleaning are we talking here? Steel wool and soap, or hot vinegar, or ....?
Thanks for the replies. I really want to get going!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave the sensor a real clean and both the terminals and the bulb are very clean and shiny. ohm meter connected - no continuity. Into the pan of water and heated to boiling - slowly so I could see if the ohm meter would change. No change - still infinity. I call it a failure!

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
I gave the sensor a real clean and both the terminals and the bulb are very clean and shiny. ohm meter connected - no continuity. Into the pan of water and heated to boiling - slowly so I could see if the ohm meter would change. No change - still infinity. I call it a failure!
Dennis is the only one who ever made that work. When it's bad it's bad, shiny does nothing for the internal parts.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Well good folks, my solution to that problem was to connect the leads to a manual switch fitted to my fairing, left hand panel and watch the temp gauge. when it gets hot I turn on the fan myself.
Particularly in slow moving traffic, or static for long.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
if you do that, you best keep the RPMs up high enough to keep the Battery charged,

hope you have a Voltmeter on the bike to watch???

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Little update: ebay seller has 2 different sizes of cooling fan thermal switch that supposedly both fit 1984 GL1200A. 1 has 15.8 mm threads and the other has 17.8mm threads. Mine requires the 17.8. I ordered the 17.8mm today and te seller is to credit me back when he receives the wrong one back. Hopefully this works out, but I really hate waiting with the motorcycle scattered.
So, has anyone else heard of 2 different sizes of switch? I've only found 1 part number from the Honda parts drawings.
Thanks again. Joe

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Little update: ebay seller has 2 different sizes of cooling fan thermal switch that supposedly both fit 1984 GL1200A. 1 has 15.8 mm threads and the other has 17.8mm threads. Mine requires the 17.8. I ordered the 17.8mm today and te seller is to credit me back when he receives the wrong one back. Hopefully this works out, but I really hate waiting with the motorcycle scattered.
So, has anyone else heard of 2 different sizes of switch? I've only found 1 part number from the Honda parts drawings.
Thanks again. Joe
Never seen anything but the one size for 1000s, 1100s & 1200s.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
Why not just buy the correct switch. Available through your local dealer. And, as best as I can determine, all 1200s use the same switch, part # 37760-MB9-000.

What you get from the aftermarket, if the threads fit, may not have the correct plug, or the temp may be wrong causing the fan to come on too soon, or too late.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My local dealer said no longer available. Saw similar results with 3 major online Honda parts outlets. I haven't found a genuine Honda part available.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
Don't know why but Parts Direct says it's available for 71 bucks and change. Zilla does say "unavailable".

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Tour Max in England makes a GoldWing fan switch. Part #21-7346 RFS-501 Radiator Fan Switch. I have 3 in stock. I paid $47.15 for each. Just add shipping if you need one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts