Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 84 wing is in good condtion with 43,000 miles on it. I was riding it and I began to lose power and the whole electrical dash began fluttering flashing and not reading grears, speed, or tach correctly. I was losing power and then it completely dies on me. I can't find any wires that look to be in poor condtion and my battery tender shows my battery being fully charged. When I turn my key it has absolutely no power. Nothing

Can anyone tell me what that could be. I"m in Keizer oregon thanks

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome slammerman,
Sounds like what happens with a dead battery from a stator not putting out anything. Please check your voltage at the battery with a test meter. Also check the clear connector to the left of the battery w/3 yellow wires for blackened wires.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Stu is on the right track. First job is to charge the battery and fire her up, then check what voltage is coming out of the stator and into the battery.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

slammerman wrote:
and my battery tender shows my battery being fully charged.
Check the main fuse on the starter relay and the connector on top of the relay.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
slammerman wrote:
and my battery tender shows my battery being fully charged.
Check the main fuse on the starter relay and the connector on top of the relay.
+1...of course it is an 84...Ignition key switch faulty:??

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

Also check where the ignition switch plugs into the wiring harness. This is inside the fork well, right hand side, under the rubber covers. The bracket for this is mounted to the actual frame itself, and it's on the far left hand side of the bracket. Check to make sure that this is not only plugged in but intact as well (check for melted connectors etc)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Slammerman.

I agree with all the above possibilities. The wires on top of the relay are pretty famous for getting crispy.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

My 84 aspy did the same thing first time it would just die when turning the handle bars. Was a bad key switch as there was a recall on them. Also once while ridding bike did the same thing every thing kept cutting in and out found the main fuse was lose causing the power to my dash to cut out check both. And good luck Hal

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks to all. Awesome feeling to have all these responses from fellow goldwingers. Well I checked my main fuse the 30 amp and it was busted. I replaced it and kaboom it fired right up and is running like a champ. To think all that and I had to get a tow. Sometimes or all the time start wit the littlel things eh? Thanks again,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.