Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just pulled the drive shaft from my final drive and according to the manual there should bea damper spring between the shaft and the gear drive socket of the final drive. Uhh not in mine. Should there be one? Maybe the last owner left it out? Need to know if it is critical and needs to be there. Anyone got an answer?

Thanks,

Chickenwing1200

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

my book shows no alternate so i would guess it should
have one.

looks to me that without it the shaft could move forward
and put the circlips in a bind. if they came off or broke
the shaft may move forward and intefere with the u joint
or separate from the final drive.

i do not know that for sure but i think it needs it.
:12ltd:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

That spring is to stop rattling. I know a few early 1200s taht didn't have the spring. It was probably fitted to later ones to quieten the driveline.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ChickenWing1200 wrote:
I just pulled the drive shaft from my final drive and according to the manual there should bea damper spring between the shaft and the gear drive socket of the final drive. Uhh not in mine. Should there be one? Maybe the last owner left it out? Need to know if it is critical and needs to be there. Anyone got an answer?
Chickenwing1200, well that's a real good question!!

I know for sure the 85 & 86 1200 uses that spring as I have been into those. I was under the impression that the 84 used the one piece shaft like the 1100's did (I might be wrong here though).

I guess barring better info from someone that has actually been into the 84 I would see if you have a one piece prop shaft (shaft & U-Joint as one piece) if a one piece shaft then it probably doesn't need that spring.. If you have the 2-piece shaft (shaft is splined at both ends & pulls out of the U-Joint)- then you need that spring.

I looked in my parts manual & all the service manuals I have & they only show the later 2-piece shaft for the 84.

As for the purpose of that spring? It keeps tension on the shaft to keep it from sliding back & forth so the splines don't wear the Moly grease out & go dry. Do you need it? Probably not for the short term, but for long term usage it should be there.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Mine is the 2 piece shaft and I would prefer to have one since my manual also shows it. Don't know where I will get one though.

Thanks,

CW

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Not sure, the page is messed up, on my browser anyway.
They have... spring,damper part # 51423-001

http://www.bikebandit.com

$37.95 did not say discontinued. Have bought from them
twice. Got good service both times.

paulcra.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

ChickenWing1200 wrote:

Thanks,

Chickenwing1200
Are you referring to the spring that goes into the swingarm and pushes the drive shaft rearward ?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

paulcra wrote:
Not sure, the page is messed up, on my browser anyway.
They have... spring,damper part # 51423-001

http://www.bikebandit.com

$37.95 did not say discontinued. Have bought from them
twice. Got good service both times.

paulcra.
I believe that spring for the final shaft damper is in front of the u-joint, on bike bandit check the rear fork page.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Tonys96

I read it again and I think you are correct. I sometimes read
every other word. :gunhead:

paulcra.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.