Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to replace the clutch cover oil seal that the slave cylinder push rod goes through, do I have to remove the cover and replace seal from inside? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

·
Administrator
24,800 Posts
No, the seal goes in from the outside, it may be stuck in there pretty good.

·
Administrator
21,981 Posts
They are probably referring to the seal that goes into the motor. #13 on this fiche.

https://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=426548&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1987&fveh=13049

I've tried to talk people through replacing that seal without pulling the cover but don't remember anyone getting it done. It didn't seem that hard when I did mine.

The main thing is don't try to dig it out. If that's the one you're going for, find a bolt that will screw tightly into the seal's opening. Then wait for instructions. I have artwork that shows how to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I haven't stated the job yet so I will be waiting instruction. Being as old as it is i'm sure it won't be quick and easy, but as long as it's done right without taking to much apart.

·
Administrator
21,981 Posts
Okay, the bolt threads should cut deep into the seal. That's important.

And the box wrench should fit over the shank of the bolt but not the head.

And you need to find an angle for the pry bar so you have a lot of leverage against the wrench so you can pull the bolt straight out.

You can lean the bike over onto its right side crash bars if you want to go at this from underneath.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,800 Posts
Okay, the bolt threads should cut deep into the seal. That's important.

And the box wrench should fit over the shank of the bolt but not the head.

And you need to find an angle for the pry bar so you have a lot of leverage against the wrench so you can pull the bolt straight out.

You can lean the bike over onto its right side crash bars if you want to go at this from underneath.
Would have been good of you to include the bolt size & thread pitch in the diagram.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removed slave cylinder and I am looking at very deteriorated thin rubber with metal behind it. Am I right in guessing that the seal is rubber coated metal. If so then now to find a bolt thick enough to thread into it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might have to run to hardware store, can't find the right size bolt in garage or basement. How ever I thought of something else in the mean time. How did you get the new seal seated with no room to tap it in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well had to pull the cover. I did exactly what you said, but the damn thing was so sealed in there that I could not pry it out. Even with the cover off I had a hell of a job. Of course they sent me the wrong gasket and ended up making a gasket ( thank you Fel- Pro), half the parts I order end up being wrong, because of the 1984 being so different and I make sure to specify it's a 1984. Anyway job is done and I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
figures. no matter what.... things seem to take 4x longer than planned (being optimistic) and cost 4x as much as planned as always run into problems and other things that need to be done while there. just the way it goes, PLAN AHEAD.

the 84 also has the ignition picks up's on the back of motor, got to take swingarm off to get to them? and.... they don't make ignition pick ups for it anymore/discontinued. the 85 and newer models they put the pick ups on the front of the motor, a little easier to get to , but still unavailable? they go bad... that (to me) is BAD.

intermittent motor /ignition stoppage when hair wires get hot in the ign pick ups and separate... let it cool, the wires come back together, motor runs... til motor gets hot again and wires pull apart in the Ign pick ups and no signal to the ign coils so no ignition.

mine did that once after I pressure washed it. just died, no spark. towed it back to place.... let it sit for a week/dried out... started right up?? don't trust it now out of tow range. water on the ...knee???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That could probably be repaired by someone good with small electrical skills. Any way the one I have been working on was my late dad's and I have been fixing it up to sell for my mom. The oil leak developed after someone decided to buy it. i would start it every so often to keep it lubed and running . And one morning there was a huge puddle of oil under it. I don't have the hart to do that to someone so I felt obligated to fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts