Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, I have just discovered an oilleak from where the final drive bolts on to the swingarm assembly, (4 x bolts, which are VERY tight!) is there supposed to be a gasket between these parts to prevent this??...none shown as far as I can see in the parts diagram..?..I am using Spectro 80w/90 gear oil in the final drive unit...

Cheers,

groutby

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Of course !!...thanks Larry, so, if I wait 'till winter (in NZ)to replace the seal, when the bike will be off the road for general maintenance etc.will it potentially cause damage to anything if I use it until then?? (the oil level will be continually checked)
Cheers,
groutby

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Keep the final drive oil level where it should be and you won't hurt anything by riding your bike (unless you have some sort of massive leak). The oil seal that is mounted on the drive shaft where it enters the final drive is probably leaking. Do a search on final drive leaks and you should get plenty of info on what is required.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Number 7 is the O ring that is probably causing the problem but could be 29, the seal if oil isnt dripping from the front of the shaft it is probably just the O ring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

hi groutby ! i had that problem once i had just bought the bike a few months before, seems that the previous owner had put ordinary car grease in there and it just melted with the heat and looked like an oil leak.
it was one crappy job to do, but i feel better knowing it ....lol

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

I have an 86 and I had to replace that seal too. It is a really easy job to do. Took me about an hour and I found the wheel splines were worn from lack of prior grease. I got to grease them well then too. The seal was $10 from the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.