Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just bought a 1984 Gl 1200 Interstate, The front brake handle comes back to within about 1/2 inchof the trottle grip the brake pads are good. Is there a way to adjust the amount of travel for the handle. I'm new to Goldwings but so far its the best ride I've ever had. Thanks for all the help. James in Tn.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The brake needs to be bled.
If you don't know when the brake fluid was replaced last, that would be something that would need doing.
The way I do it, Use plenty of cloths to keep your paintwork from being ruined, remove the covers and diaphrams off the reservoirs, using a turkey baster, remove the fluid and clean any crud out of the reservoirs. Fill the reservoirs with DOT 4 brake fluid then loosen the bleed valves on the calipers, place a tube on the valve and place the other end in a container and pump the fluid through, making sure the levels dont drop down too far as you pump .
If the front brake is still weak, loosen the banjo nut on the reservoir and pump the hand brake, there may be bubbles trapped in there, a common problem.
If after that it still is a problem, it could be the bushing in the lever is worn. Many owners never lube the levers and this allows for wear.
When you have done this remove the caliper slide bolts and lube with either never seize or silicone grease.
Why not put your location in your profile so we know where your from ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

As already stated the brakes probably need bleeding however sometimes the lines, due to age, swell andas a result full hydraulic pressure is not achieved . Try putting some small clamps on the lines in various spots.......dont clamp them tightly just snug them up. Then try your brake and see if there is less travel in the lever. If there is less travel the lines should be replaced. You might consider stainless steel lines as replacements. They are a little more expensive but they make a huge difference in your bikes braking. I had the same problem with excessive lever travel on my 84 Aspencade and a set of s/s lines cured the problem

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks guys for all the help, now if I can get my wife to help me bleed them I'll be doing good, she hates motorcycles every time I need help with oneshe says sell it. I'm keeping my bike. Maybe time for a new wife Thanks again for all the help James

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I was struggling to bleed my clutch until I bought the Harbor Freight Bleeder, it worked great, finished the job in less than 5 minutes..

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I'm going this weekend to buy one we have one of there stores just up the road. Thanks for all the help James

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

A MiniVac works great and is a one man operation. Any auto parts store, or Walmart, has them. You can flush the system AND remove the air at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Speed Bleeders are another great invention that turns brake bleeding into a one man operation. They are a good alternative especially if you have to do it other than at home in the garage. For the 1200 you need 8mm X 1.25 thread for both front calipers, rear caliper and clutch. The best $32.00 I ever spent,:shock: well, except that one time....... but this is a family forum.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Speed Bleeders are another great invention that turns brake bleeding into a one man operation. They are a good alternative especially if you have to do it other than at home in the garage. For the 1200 you need 8mm X 1.25 thread for both front calipers, rear caliper and clutch. The best $32.00 I ever spent,:shock: well, except that one time....... but this is a family forum.:cooldevil:
You beat me to it. I replaced my bleeders with these and I love them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.