Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think I found a nice 4X8 trailer for the Wing. Im just wondering if the Wing will fit? :baffled:

Keep in mind I will be installing a locking shoe for the front tire. :)

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Not quite but only 1/2" according to the specs, but it might not balance well, you may need a little room to play with and with the chock in, that might push it back a little further. I built a 4x9 for mine.
A stock 5x10 would be better.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

tricky wrote:
Not quite but only 1/2" according to the specs, but it might not balance well, you may need a little room to play with and with the chock in, that might push it back a little further. I built a 4x9 for mine.
A stock 5x10 would be better.

OK THX!! I was thinking I should go with the bigger one. Only $190 more for 5x10..

:weightlifter:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I use a 4x8 trailer with the chock and it does tend to put the weight further back with the chock installed. Main thing is axle location as mine is pretty much centered to the bed. If the axle is further toward the rear then you shouldn't have much problem. Soon I'll have a winch mount with battery mount welded to the tongue so the weight will center more back to the front. I also plan to offset more weight by adding a tongue jack.

Does this trailer have a gate or fold up ramp on the back? If it does then it won't go all the way up with a bike that has a trailer hitch install, at least as far as the 1100's go.

The 5x10 would be much better as it will handle just about any bike including most trikes.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I use a 4x8 trailer with the chock and it does tend to put the weight further back with the chock installed. Main thing is axle location as mine is pretty much centered to the bed. If the axle is further toward the rear then you shouldn't have much problem. Soon I'll have a winch mount with battery mount welded to the tongue so the weight will center more back to the front. I also plan to offset more weight by adding a tongue jack.

Does this trailer have a gate or fold up ramp on the back? If it does then it won't go all the way up with a bike that has a trailer hitch install, at least as far as the 1100's go.

The 5x10 would be much better as it will handle just about any bike including most trikes.
Im going to stay away from the gate trailers. Angle on the ramp looks to steep. Im looking at a marine grade flat wood deck 5x10 tandem trailer. I plan on using 4x7 aluminum folding ramps for loading/unloading. The ramps will have locking dowels, so I have any surprises. Just waiting for the $$ to make this happen.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I had a 84 1200, and a 4x8 trailer. They do work, but for mine I had to take the gate/ramp off and put it in the bed of the truck (so much easier to offload from the trailer than the truck).

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If your buying the trailer most companies have a double hinged tailgate model which you could beef up in the center as well if needed. This would give a 6 foot ramp, long enough for loading the bike easily. Or if the trailer comes with a 4' tailgate you could fab up a 2' hinged section.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I forgot to mention my trailer is also a tilt bed so it loads very easily without the bike dragging or hanging up on the bottom. The winch i plan to add is from Harbor Freight and comes with a wireless remote so loading can truly be a one man job.

Now my brother built his own 5x10 that at first he was going to put a teardrop end on but instead went with a folding ramp gate made of mesh steel. he's a welder and builds almost all his own trailers plus does repairs on trailers for the horse community in upstate South Carolina. I'll ge a pic of it later today when I go by his house on my way back from North Carolina for a PGR mission.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I made a 4 x 8 trailer with a cut out in the front & mounted the tire chock on the tongue, this allows the weight forward & the tailgate to close. :waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
I made a 4 x 8 trailer with a cut out in the front & mounted the tire chock on the tongue, this allows the weight forward & the tailgate to close. :waving:
I might look into doing that for mine but if I do it will put the chock right over the tilt lock.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thx for your help guys. I cant believe how helpfull you members are. I have belonged to 7-8 diffrent boards, with regards to the misc vehicles I have owned. This board by far is the kindest and most helpfull..

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

MilkMoney wrote:
Thx for your help guys. I cant believe how helpfull you members are. I have belonged to 7-8 diffrent boards, with regards to the misc vehicles I have owned. This board by far is the kindest and most helpfull..
You just caught us after christmas when we're in good humour, just wait till you ask an oil related question....:shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.