Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wondering if this problem might sound familar to anybody: Engine starts to progressively miss & eventualy won't run after 3 to 5 min under highway/ hard accelerationload above 4000 rpm. Leave it sit for an hour, runs fine untill high rpm & load combination again. Troubleshooting to date.... 5000 rpm 15 min in driveway... no problem. 3 min under load drive up the street (throttle open wide seems to be a factor) progressive worsening sputter sputter untill dead. Dealer suggested check plugs... found gas soaked #2 & 4 after failure. Remove & dry plugs, all is immediately fine. Just got bike back from dealer today after 4 carb rebuild, syncronize, tune up & checkup... 5 miles down the interstate at high rpm high gear, heavy throttle.... same thing.

Any suggestions on what I should talk to the dealer about to try next??? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Larry in Canton, GA

"where you Canton do this... and Canton do that!"

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hello larry, welcome to the forum. It sounds like carbs are not yourproblem at all, but the pulse coils. It's common enough on th e1200s. :waving:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Talked with a Harley buddy of mine... he was thinking somthing temperature related, but not an over heating problem, as it running normal temp on the gague .... are the coils likely to work fine untill they heat up, then not spark properly??? That could explain the "wet plug" symptom as a result of very poor ignition and me "turning the wrist counter clockwise" hee hee :D and drowning it ???

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Just found a reference in Clymershop manual that says 1 ignition coil fires 2 cylinders... 1 & 3, or 2 & 4.... only one side had wet plugs... I believe you are on to somthing!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

I think Ted was referring to the pulse coils at the back of theengine (they do fail)instead of the ignition coils. You can isolate the ignition coils by swapping them around and seeing if the other side floods instead. If it does then an ignition coil is faulty. If the same side still floods then pulse coils is more likely. Don't forget to pull off a plug cap to check for spark when the bad running happens.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Larry, I've just replaced the ignition coils on my GL1200 after some help from the forum (Engine miss-fireing under load)tracingmy problem. From that I can tell you left coil feeds the tachometer and 1 + 3 cylinders (front two) the right coil feeds 2+4 (rear two) the pulses from the pulse generator to the right coil feed the fuel pump relay which in turn runs the fuel pump.

this means the fuel pump only runs when the right coil fires and only if there is a demand for the fuel.

look at the wiring and connectors from the pulse generator's/ignition module to coil, one of mine had a break. try swapping the coils left to right see if the problem changes to 1+3 cylinder if it does change the coil, check the coils with an ohmeter the readings should be 2.2 - 2.7 ohms primary (spade connecters) and 16300 - 21700 ohms secondry (HT lead connections) with the HT leads removed (the Clymer manual is wrong!) any variation then change the coils.

The engine is spluttering because it's running out of fuel because your coils arn't fireing properly. by experience this will get worse until the bike won't even start!!!!!!!!

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

mooneypaul wrote:
hi

had the same problem last month

pulse coils were gone, try this area:waving:
Spot on, that's the common area to look out for with the 1200. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:gunhead:So here is my problem now........... where can I get a pulse generator when dealer said that it a discontinued part ??? You UK dudes seem to know a whole bunch more about my bike than my local "dealer" in Atlanta GA, USA... THANK YOU!

Appreciate the input guys & gals !

Larry & Lisa

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK Guys.. got it fixed...!!!!

It gave me a clue... a couple backfires after 3-4 min at high speed. This means fuel starvation. Pulled the fuel filter, it looked like the bottom of a muddy creek! The darn thing was starving for gas, and replacing the filter did the trick. (Tried new spark plug caps & spark coil didn't fix itbefore I found this) . What I can't figure out is... why was it flooding when the problem was a REALLY clogged filter???Suppose I learn somthing new every day.. that's a good thing :)

Greatly appreciate all the help... you guys are great!

Larry & Lisa

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

So YOU found a clogged filter after you took it to a dealer for a 4 carb rebuild? That should have been part of a fuel system rebuild. I'd never take it to that dealer again.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

YUP! Apparently fuel filter is not part of a major rebuild-tuneup job. $8 part, $800 headache! I would have thought that would be part if it too.. I did call to tell them what fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Glad ya found it then. I've had my share of fuel system bugs. Some involving the filter. Plus I have the single carb conversion, and at least I don't have to hear the dreaded 4 letter word anymore. Sync. But other than fuel related issues, my bike's been pretty faithful. I currently have 2 filters inline, to keep any and all crud out of the carb.

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey networm :waving: Please update your profile and complete the LOCATION section and tell us what country you live in. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey mooneypaul :waving: Please update your profile and complete the LOCATION section and tell us what country you live in. :clapper:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mooneypaul wrote:
hi

had the same problem last month

pulse coils were gone, try this area:waving:
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Net, mooneypaul!:waving::waving:

I had two Mooneys, are you an airplane driver too?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Sorry to revisit a 2005 thread but it raises a question as to a problem I'm currently experiencing with my '87 Aspy. The bike is sputtering and dying when ambient temp/motor temp and power demands get high. As I read the manuals it appears there are 2 pulse generators on the bike. If the problem is the pulse generator(s)and only 1 is deffective shouldn't the bike still run on 2 cylinders? I know it will still run if 1 coil goes. Mine is just sputtering and dying and then restarts after it cools down (20-30 minutes). It's only done it 3 times and each time I was on the side of a major highway, not about to start tearing it apart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.