Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bleeding the brakes on an '84 GL1200 Aspencade. The reservoir was completely dry from previous owner. The front brake caliper (left side) bled with no issues. The rear brake pedal, which controls the front right caliper and rear brake caliper is giving me an issue. I've bled the front right caliper first, then the rear brake caliper. I'm still getting a lot of air from the rear caliper bleed nipple when I bleed.

One thing I did was reverse bleed from the rear brake caliper, but I didn't do a reverse bleed on the front right caliper. The front right caliper seemed to have no air coming out of the tubing when I was bleeding. Only the rear caliper. Is there a trick to bleeding this system?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can open the bleeder a little and put your finger over it like a check valve. Pump pedal or have some one do it for you. After a couple master cylinders full, close the bleeder on the down strike of the pedal. Bleed once more using a wrench.
it will work in time.
David

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
☺install speed bleeder valves on both, open them both slightly, pump that lever till the cows come home, & they will!
(slip clear vinyl tubing over them, draining into a jar, so you can monitor your progress...try both at a time, one at a time,
keep the reservoir full, of course)

·
1,682 Posts
If you have about 6 feet of clear vinyl tube , you put the one end on the bleeder and the other end in the master cylinder reservoir ! - open the bleeder and pump and VOILA , - you have automatic refill of the reservoir !
(only to recommend when you have drained out the old fluid ).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not a good idea, you are putting air back into the system plus any contaminants picked up by the fluids

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a lot of bleeding, I notice that air bubbles only come through the tubing AFTER I've closed the bleeder valve. Is this air from the bleeder threads? I've uploaded a video to Youtube below

·
Registered
83 Posts
For the final bleed, close the bleeder. Push the pedal or lever. Open the bleeder a little. Close the bleeder before the pedal or lever makes full stroke. You should only have to do this twice with no air coming out the second time. Once you don't see any air, top off. You should have a good pedal or lever.

I don’t use a hose, I wrap everything with a rag. I need to see the fluid coming out of the bleeder.

you are seeing the fluid draw air into the hose when the bleeder is tightened.
David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the final bleed, close the bleeder. Push the pedal or lever. Open the bleeder a little. Close the bleeder before the pedal or lever makes full stroke. You should only have to do this twice with no air coming out the second time. Once you don't see any air, top off. You should have a good pedal or lever.

I don’t use a hose, I wrap everything with a rag. I need to see the fluid coming out of the bleeder.

you are seeing the fluid draw air into the hose when the bleeder is tightened.
David
So does that mean that air is being drawn into the hose from inside the caliper or outside the caliper?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would say outside. The bleeder is closed.

Apply pedal or lever pressure on the bleeder. Open the bleeder A LITTLE. Watch the fluid come out. Only let a little out. Close the bleeder so it still has pressure. You will see no air. Forget the hose. Its causing problems.
Look at what is coming out of the bleeder. It will be pure brake fluid with no air.
Once you see no air coming out of the bleeder, you are done. Check for good pedal or lever and test drive. Do not get brake fluid on anything.

David

·
Registered
352 Posts
ESPECIALLY your hands, it is now one of the most common causes of dermatitis and oh boy do i have that tee shirt, why i drive trucks instead of fix them nowadays

1 - 11 of 11 Posts