Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am in the process of rebuilding my rear shocks and when I took the boot off the left side I noticed that the lower lip had been smashed, possibly from someone bottoming the bike out. I am shopping around for another pair of stock rebuildable shocks and all these OEM part sites I go to have different part numbers Ie 84 GL1200 Standard is a different part number than the 84 GLAspencade. You would think they would be the same shock. Anyone know which ones will fit on my 84 Aspencade? Maybe someone has a set or single left side they would like to sell. Thanks all!
Craig

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Last I knew the Interstate/Aspendade shocks are heavier duty because of the extra weight of the saddlebags and trunk plus the bars to hold them.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Craig,

Consider this. The age and mileage of the shocks you have on it and the possible used ones you are looking for may be worn out. Why waste the money on used to rebuild when the damping is most likely gone. I had an 86 Aspy and rebuilt the seals with bushings but it was not good as new. The springs were also worn. I fixed it by trading in for a new 08. The point is the used shocks most likely are tired too so if you plan to keep the bike then invest in new shock assemblies and end any future frustration.

Just my opinion based on past experiance. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You won't regret it, believe me. I put Progressive shocks and fork springs on my 82 1100 at the same time I fitted new fork seals. Now she rides so much smoother and more agile. Along with a new rear Elite III tire on the rear it feels like I'm riding a new bike. My confidence in the twisties has gone way up with all these improvements.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

a bunch on ebay right now...Showi...cheap.....need a small press to exchange the rubber bushings if needed

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Bought a brand new set of Progressive 416's on Ebay for $290.00 and went around corner to the Honda dealer and bought the air adapter kit.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

Thats a good price. I just bought a set for mine for $325. I love them. You wont be sorry. You know how it says in the owners manual total weight for the 1200 is 425 lbs. My girlfriend and I combinded are right around 470!! Rides like a Caddy!!!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

My front end is stock and no matter what air pressure I adjust it to the ride is harsh to say the least.

The back end seems ok in comparison so
It sounds like these Progressive springs will have to be my next upgrade, so who offers the best price on these?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

GL1200Wing sounds to me like someone may have changed the fork oil in your forks at sometime ..Maybe the PO did fork seals and put to heavy an oil in them..My 86 needs 5 pounds of air to get any rebound in them after doing my fork seals this winter..Might look into it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.