Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an 84' goldwing for $50, seller said it ran good but he also decided to cut every wire hose and oil line. Just trying to get the engine running but the wiring diagram is overwhelming anyone have any advice on just getting the engine running.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow,,,
Though there aren't many oil lines except for hydraulics for brakes...
Which side was cut on the wiring? between the end part and the plug or is the wire harness cut off of plugs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
froche, you have no idea, he cut every wire as close to the electrical components as he could so he could take out the entire wiring harness and throw it away. I have relays and switches that just have tiny nub wires coming out of them. And with the oil lines for the clutch and the brakes instead of unbolting them supper easily he just cut them at both ends. But I will persevere.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
The major thing you would have to do to get it running besides getting another harness would be reconnecting the ignition module, the black box above the coils. I can't believe someone would do that. If he intended to replace the harness he would have to disconnect the connectors from the components anyway. And cut the brake and clutch lines!! What was he thinking?

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
if he cut all the wiring and cables close to the components, that engine is now spare parts.
None of the electrical components affect the engine itself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just done something similar with a 1500 and it took me months plus great help from members here and i have been working on bike electrics forover 40 years so have a good working knowledge.
If you are new to electrics/electronics i would say part it out and buy a running bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow this is a really great community, I have been stalling on this project for a while I'm sure you've all seen the electrical schematic. I must address though that I'm a 3rd year mechanical engineer and even if I had the rear wheel I'm not exactly looking for a ridable bike, but rather learn about a more complicated engine than the little one cylinder harbor freight engines I've played with before. You'll take one look and cry because it will probably never be ridable again. I got a bucket of parts and I'm pretty sure the ignition control unit and I think I have the engine critical components mapped out, so I can strip and solder this mess together. Thank god I don't think the guy opened the engine and screwed with the timing chain, but the engine was sitting for a while.

Bottom line what are some typical problems with these engines over time (IE which components usually go bad first)? I'm doubtful that everything will work the first time I try and turn it over.

And thank you everyone for your help

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
but the engine was sitting for a while.

Bottom line what are some typical problems with these engines over time (IE which components usually go bad first)?
Sitting for a while the carbs will no doubt need work. The only real problems are the stator (charging system) and the pulse generators (ignition system). The engines mechanically hardly ever have a problem. You should try turning it by hand just to be sure it will turn. There is a plug on the left rear of the engine (17mm), take it out and turn the bolt underneath (12mm) clockwise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just to see if it fires/runs you could power the fuel pump and feed with petrol from a can then work out what connects pulse coils to igniter unit then unit to coils, figure out the power feeds into the igniter then jump the starter.
IF it fires and runs don't run it for long and do check there is oil in it first

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the engine has been a non running unit for a while, I'd change the timing belts first. The belts, id sitting for a while, can get a 'memory' and can then break easier. This engine is an interference engine, belt breaks = valves and pistons meet

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Purchased an 84' goldwing for $50, seller said it ran good but he also decided to cut every wire hose and oil line. Just trying to get the engine running but the wiring diagram is overwhelming anyone have any advice on just getting the engine running.
I have to wonder ……. "why" all this angst just to see if a engine runs. If it isn't locked up, it will run if certain conditions are addressed but it won't run until support systems (carbs & ignition) are back on line. It's still just a 4 stroke, 4 cylinder engine not very far removed from those you play with from HF. The "complications" are just 4 versus 1 of each rod, piston, valve pairs …. and the 1200 has a transmission stashed under it.

I'm guessing from your other 2 posts, you just bought the engine or bike remains as a toy.

I do wonder though, why everything was cut? Was he gonna part it out? Maybe swap the bulk into a bike with bent rods or valves?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts