Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok here it goes, I got a 1984 Aspy. I had the Carbs rebuilt and timing belts replaced about 3 weeks ago. I have put about 287 miles on it in the 3 week. It has been sitting on the side stand for the last 1 ½ weeks and I noticed today I forgot to shut the fuel valve off. I started it up and noticed that gas was leaking from the left carbs. I shut it off and said a few choice words. After a few moments I put it up on the center stand, started it up and tried to find the location of the leak. Nothing not one drip. Place back on side stand and started it up still nothing.

Ok gurus what gives? I am totally confused :baffled:

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

The needle valves have a nasty habit of not sealing off and will let the carb bowls overfill if you fail to shut off the fuel. The leakage may be too small for it to be noticable with the engine running as it draws fuel from the bowls faster than the leak lets it in. Lucky you didn't get a hydrolock.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

these bikes should NEVER leak even if sitting on the side stand all winter, you need to clean out the carbs and change the fuel filter.

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Dave, I never gave the hydrolock a thought, but you are correct on that one. The first time I started it the fuel ran out in a stream. The 2nd and 3rd time I could not find a thing with the bike on or off. Dose this kind of thing corrects its self or should I take it back to the shop that done the work and explain to them what happened?

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Armo, I had the bike in the shop and had all four carbs cleaned #4 float replaced and carbs balanced. I am wondering if something else might have broken or bid something stick and then correct its self. I normally always turn off the fuel supply but this is the first time it has ever leaked when left it on.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

I's a fairly common problem. I have a GL1000 that I haven't been able to get to stop leaking even with good quality rebuild kits. The carbs won't leak on the bench but they will on the bike when it's on the side stand and especially with a full tank.
I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and have to go out to check the valve. I carry a plug wrench on the bike just in case it hydro-locks but I've never had to use it. One solution would be a vacuum operated fuel shutoff like the sabres have.

steve

Steve

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

mad4plyn wrote:
Dave, I never gave the hydrolock a thought, but you are correct on that one. The first time I started it the fuel ran out in a stream. The 2nd and 3rd time I could not find a thing with the bike on or off. Dose this kind of thing corrects its self or should I take it back to the shop that done the work and explain to them what happened?
Sometimes a small bit of something will get on a needle seat and cause a leak then was off the next time the valve opens, it may not happen again but not worth chancing.
SuperSkypilot wrote;
"One solution would be a vacuum operated fuel shutoff like the sabres have."

On a Kawasaki forum I am a member of a lot of them are changing to a manual valve because the vacuum valve is not reliable.

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Dave. I called the shop I took it to and he said to bring it back in and he would fix it. He said the work is still under warranty and that it should not have any fuel draining out onto the top of the engine even when the fuel is left on. He said it might have some dirt in the Carburetor and could cause it to leak again.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

SuperSkypilot wrote:
One solution would be a vacuum operated fuel shutoff like the sabres have.

Steve
Even that's not fool proof. If there is a leaking float valve and the check valves in your vacuum operated fuel shutoff valve stick or get a tiny piece of dirt in them you've got a flooded engine.

Honda should have installed a mechanical valve to prevent this.

Oops I see they did.:ROFL::shock:

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ken I think that is the other problem. I turned off the fuel supply and low and behold after 10 min. the bike was still running. Might need to have that checked while its in the shop. Oh well I did not need to ride to Lake Tahoe this weekend, that would have given me way to much thinking time.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

dan, ya may want to check the fuel cap to be sure its venting

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I replaced the gasket on the fuel cap about 7 months ago. It fits really thight but I will take a look at it. Thanks for the info.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all, WHERE is the gas coming from on the carbs? I am not familiar with the Goldwing carbs (wish I was, I'm stuck with FI) but many carbs have an overflow that will let fuel run out before it reaches a level where it could run into the engine. My Vulcan 750, Ninja 500, Rebel 250, and Yamaha XT225 all have such a design. They have s drain screw and hose on the bottom of the carb, you can open the screw, and drain the float bowl. They ALSO have a standpipe inside the float bowl, so if gas reaches a certain level, it will run out through the same drain you use to drain the float bowl, even with the drain screw closed. Now this standpipe is about as big as the stray that comes with a can of carb cleaner, so if you leave old gas in there long enough, it could plug up.

I have also had issues with carb float needle valves sometimes sealing and other times not. I put a brand new complete needle valve and seat in the carb on my XT225, and made sure the float level was set correctly, and it runs just fine. It has a manual petcock. Sometimes I turn it off, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes, but not all the time, when I don't turn it off, the needle valve will leak, gas will run out through the overflow tube, and onto the floor of the shed where I keep it. I've lost over half a tank of gas over a long period of time this way before. Other times it will not leak at all. I have no idea what the issue is. I thought the float might be sticking open, but checked that out, and it doesn't seem to be likely that is it. I finally gave up, and stuck a sticker on the top of the tank reminding me to turn off the gas.

My Vulcan 750 has a vacuum operated petcock, and it has failed twice, and leaked from the petcock both times. It comes apart, so I installed a new 0-ring and diaphragm in it, and that fixed it both times.

I would 10 times rather deal with leaky needle valves than the LTD fuel injection.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

No, the goldwing carbs do not have an overflow. Seems like it would have been a good idea but someone didn't think so. I think it may be an EPA idea (deleting the overflow) to keep raw fuel from leaking on the ground but it ends up there usually anyway.

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The bike was not leaking fuel until I started it up. My wife asked me what was leaking on the ground. I looked down to see fuel running off the side of the engine. I shut it off before looking to see where it was leaking from. I put it back on the side stand and seen fuel dripping from the 2 left carbs (bottom of the float bowls) once I got the chrome covers off it had stopped dripping. Only thing was a small puddle on top of the engine. I could never get it to drip again so the location is still a mystery. Have started it 7 times and let it cool and still nothing. It’s a Greek mystery I tell you, just a Greek d*@ mystery. I am blaming the wife for the leak as he who finds it is responsible for it. And I’m sticking to that story.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

interesting, I Never turn off the fuel valve, and always on it's side. but I have run SEAFOAM which really cleans out the smallest ports. Try running an entire can through an empty tank and let it sit in the carbs all night.

·
Dan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Today’s up date. I got home and checked the Fuel shut off valve and found out it was bad and leaked if I gave it a little wiggle. Easy fix as I had the rebuild kit already. Got that fixed and started it up and no fuel leaks or signs of one. It was so nice out I took her for a little ride and never had a problem. Stopped by the shop that done the work on her and they are going to take the Carbs off Fri and double check everything. Thank you all for your help. I should be back up and going by this weekend. :bowing:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure what kind of connection there is between the petcock and the carbs on a Goldwing, but on many bikes I have turned the petcock off, removed the fuel hose(s) from the petcock, then drained the carbs with the drain screw on the float bowl, closed the drain screws, then took a little tiny funnel, stuck it in the fuel lines to the carb, and filled them full of Seafoam. This will usually submerge both the main jets and the pilot jets. I've had this work, but not always, because simply soaking in Seafoam may not clear a plugged jet. You need to remove the jet, and spray carb cleaner through it, use a fine copper wire, or what I use, a small E string from a guitar. I have never damaged a jet with the guitar string. A guitar string is a very stiff, smooth, round, precision made piece of wire, and it is smaller than any jet made, so it really can't damage the jets.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Jerry, he has one or more leaking float valves not jets.:readit:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.