Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this 84 GL1200I late last fall so I'm still getting used to it even though I've put about 500 miles on it this spring already. Periodically when starting for the first time of the day it will just crank and not start. It sometimes fires and starts but only runs a few seconds and dies like it is running out of gas. Other days I just hit the start button and it is running. Once started it runs great and will start up right away all day long after that first start.

Last time it did not want to start, I thought I might have flooded it and pulled the spark plugs and was surprised they were bone dry. Put it back together, hit the start button and it was running. Go figure. Other times, I've cycled the ignition switch on and off a few times and then it started right up. Jump forward a few weeks, been starting great, in fact Friday was the last time I had it running and it started great again. Now it's Sunday, and it won't start.

Time for some diagnostics. Pulled the spark plug wires on the right bank and inserted a spark tester. Cranked bike over and the spark was jumping the 1/4" gap on both wires and seemed to be a strong spark. Put the wires back on the plugs, hit the start button and it was running.

Since I have a strong spark, I,m leaning towards a fuel problem. Anybody have any insight or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Welcome from Oz. If your plugs aren't wet then you don't have enough fuel, so more than likely fuel pump is letting you down. They have little valves that work as a non return and it sounds like that is your problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike & Ansimp
I don't really think it is the fuel pump since it runs so well and doesn't have any issues at highway speeds, but I could be wrong. When the bike is running I can put my hand on the fuel pump and feel it working but don't feel anything when cranking (during the times it doesn't want to start). Where is this relay that controls the fuel pump?

Cornpone
Do I have to dis assemble the ignition switch to clean it out or just spray it as is?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.