Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

Just acquired a 1984 GL1200, where is the best place in Ireland to get cylinder head gaskets or are they bought on the net?

Most of the Chrome has tarnished, where is the best place to have this redone?

Thanks

Gerry

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Sorry Gerry, but teh chrome shop is gone. Used to be called SAFA. I'm checking out other places at the moment and I'll get bcak when I find out more. ;)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

The chrome on my 81 looked pretyy bad but a little elbow grease and some chrome cleaner got her looking good as new...well almost. Might give that a try before spending the money to have everything re-plated.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Gerry, there is one in Ballymount.I'lll be passing that way tomorow and will get a phone number for you.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Heres one from a known and trusted U.S. source:

http://www.saber-cycle.com/cart/shop.cgi/SID=1106516918.28522/page=results.html

Might also try servicehonda.com on internet.

Be exceedingly careful changing these head gaskets, its easy to damage the oiling system and destroy the valvetrain. It looks simpler than it is. Dont re-start it till the timing belts are replaced, if they havent been already. The cams must be aligned perfectly or valves can hit pistons.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Welcome to our GoldWing site Dave.. I've seen your posts on the Honda Motorcycle Tech Help Bawd..general support page.. I believe you have a great deal of knowledge to share with all of us and hope you will join in our sincerety and desire to help all those who post here. We tend to gravitate towards Goldwings (what else) which concentrates the availability of support.

:)

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Yeah, thanks mate, appreciate the kudos, there isnt much in a Gl 1200 I havent torn into little bits, some of it destroyed :shock: I hid the bits that I destroyed...

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Sorry Gerry but the one in Ballymount that I thought was a chromers is in fact a galvanizing shop! Boy did I feel a right eejit when I called in to ask about chroming prices!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Joe

Cheers anyway, there are a couple of places listed in the yellow pages, I was hoping for a recommendation from someone who might have used a "plater" in Dublin.

Thanks again for going to the trouble.

Gerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.