Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Isee this topic discussed on one post but no mention of this recall. After 20 years, my bike now displays this problem. My question is: has anyone fixed this problem without shelling out the $120 for a new switch+ key cuts$ ? It doesn't seem like rocket surgery. My key does not stay in the run position - a bump in the road causes the bike to shut off (not fun)

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 84V067000

SWITCH COVER WHICH PROVIDES FOR A GOOD WIRE CONNECTION COULD BECOME LOOSE AND POSSIBLY CAUSE LOSS OF ALL ELECTRICAL FUNCTIONS

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I've heard of that one. I think it only affected some (quite a few actually) 1983-84 bikes. Lots of people fixed their own switches well after the recall by removing the cover, re-soldering the connections and then using silicone to secure the cover back properly.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

You can try and provide surgery on your current one, or, I was able to find an after-market for about 1/2 the price of Honda. It has been so many years ago I can't remember the make, but they are out there.

Kyle

necessity is the mother of invention

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I replaced the ignition switch on my 84, but, I re used my old key cylinderso that I wouldn't have a different key for ignition and bags.

The problem with my switch is that it had arced enough (shut the bike off each time)to make it unreliable, otherwise I would have simply repaired it.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The switch detents are probably worn or gummed up. Try a heavy dose of WD-40, it's an insulator so it won't hurt the switch. It just might free up the detent spring by cleaning out old stiff dialectric grease.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Just for your information,

Two weeks ago, My 1985 Aspencadewent completely dead, indicating a failure in the electrical circuit affecting ignition and instrumentation. This occurred at a stop light, with two brief failures prior to the complete failure while the vehicle was in motion.

Accessory circuit was unaffected, audio system remained on and the clock did not reset. Two minutes later, I would have been traveling on a twisty blvd at the posted speed limit of 55mph. I can imagine what may have happened.

Turning the ignition key to the OFF position and back to the RUN position cleared the fault

The ignition switch is the only part that could cause this behavior. Seems like the 1984 ignition switch recall may also include my 1985. I presented this information to the federal government and I am waiting for a reply.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Attention,

If this bike has never had the recall done then Honda will fix it under the recall for free. You can still use the same keys. Take the VIN down to Honda and have them look it up on INET.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

jlbuhrman wrote:
Just for your information,

Two weeks ago, My 1985 Aspencadewent completely dead, indicating a failure in the electrical circuit affecting ignition and instrumentation. This occurred at a stop light, with two brief failures prior to the complete failure while the vehicle was in motion.

Accessory circuit was unaffected, audio system remained on and the clock did not reset. Two minutes later, I would have been traveling on a twisty blvd at the posted speed limit of 55mph. I can imagine what may have happened.

Turning the ignition key to the OFF position and back to the RUN position cleared the fault

The ignition switch is the only part that could cause this behavior. Seems like the 1984 ignition switch recall may also include my 1985. I presented this information to the federal government and I am waiting for a reply.
I am curious what you think the Federal Government is going to do about a 20 year old motorcycle?

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey EastTexas :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

When Ibought my 84GL1200A it had beenstraight wired on a toggle from the harness and the switch was thrown in the saddlebag. Honda didn't fuss a bit at supplying the parts or labor to fix the problem. The only problem was the first switch was sent pre-broken in the package so I had to wait a few more days on the second one to arrive. The replacement only took a few minutes and I was road ready again. You should have no problem at all in getting your switch fixed. It is a safety recall and as long as the recall hasn't been answered on your bike it is still valid. Your local dealer will get paid for the trouble, you'll not have any out-of-pocket and you'll have a new switch. If you send me your info I can check for you.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

I just read your email re: vin number and checking to see if switch has been replaced. Could I possibly get you to check min for recall? Just bought bike, rode home no problems (250 Miles), washed bike and now everytime I turn ignition switch on, it has to be wiggled a bit to get everything to come on. Now occasionally when I hit a bump, it will kill. I wiggle ignition, get control panel back up and it starts back up.

1984 1200 Aspencade. VIN # 1hfsc1424ea030630

I sure would appreciate it.

D Young

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey dyoung :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Howdy and Welcome EastTexas and dyoung, you folks make a total of 34 members from Texas on this forum.:waving:

YEE-HA

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

DEALER: SORRY UNIT INFORMATION 09/09/05
VIN: 1HFSC1424EA030630 PRODUCT USE: MODEL & YEAR: GL1200A 1984 FIRST USE DATE: 07/26/1985 ENGINE NUMBER: 2433559 RETAIL SALE DATE: 07/26/1985 SALE REGISTERED ON: CURRENT CUSTOMER : MEINE D PREVIOUS CUSTOMER: MEINE D WARRANTIES: TYPE: START DATE END DATE CANCELLED DATE STANDARD WARRANTY: 07/26/1985 07/26/1987 HONDA PROTECTION PLAN: N REPAIR HISTORY: DATE: FAILED PART DESC: NO REPAIR FOUND CAMPAIGN NOT REPORTED AS COMPLETED

INET reports that the recall campaign was not completed

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

dyoung wrote:
Humble Texas area if interested.
Just north of Houston as I remember, only been close to there once 30 years ago. The freeways in Houston were bad back then, I can not Imagine what its like now. Dallas is bad enough.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

Can anyone tell me what the recall Number was. The dealer closest to us seems to think this is for 1800 only.

Tks for your help again

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

dyoung wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the recall Number was. The dealer closest to us seems to think this is for 1800 only.

Tks for your help again

Year:

Make:
HONDA MOTORCYCLE

Click the campaign ID to see more detail

Campaign ID
Model
Owner Notification
Potential Units Affected
Component

8510000| 84V067000
GL1200
07/05/84
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

EastTexas wrote:
I am having the same problem couold you please check my Vin number or point me in the direction so I can do it myself. My local Honda agent only wants to sell new bikes.
1984 Aspencade
Vin # 1HFSC1422EA020937
Sorry to be a pest but I am finding it very hard to get any information.
When Ibought my 84GL1200A it had beenstraight wired on a toggle from the harness and the switch was thrown in the saddlebag. Honda didn't fuss a bit at supplying the parts or labor to fix the problem. The only problem was the first switch was sent pre-broken in the package so I had to wait a few more days on the second one to arrive. The replacement only took a few minutes and I was road ready again. You should have no problem at all in getting your switch fixed. It is a safety recall and as long as the recall hasn't been answered on your bike it is still valid. Your local dealer will get paid for the trouble, you'll not have any out-of-pocket and you'll have a new switch. If you send me your info I can check for you.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.