Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saber Cycle Ignition Switch Failure.
This might be useful to those in the know. I recently purchased an ignition switch for my 1984 GL1200 from Saber Cycle out of Kansas City Metro Area, Kansas. The switch I recieved malfunctioned in the manner the early switches did that spurred the Honda recall (1984 early 85). In addition, the cover plate came off and after just two weeks of service my key - entire key ring fell out of the switch completely on I5 in So Cal.
I notified Saber explaining the situation and asked for a refund. They refused; they offered a replacement. There are no second chances with loss of ignition under operation and indicated a refund was necessary. I returned their defective switch for investigation and they refused the package - sent it back to me. Creative marketing I suppose.
I opened a case with the BBB in Kansas 9339676 and disputed the charge with Bank of America. As of 12 27 12, they have accepted no culpability and continue to refuse their item for investigation. I have purchased China OEM and Indian made Barracuda parts for my Wing in the past and while not completely happy with the quality, never had a safety issue with an item until installation of the Barracuda (made in India) ignition switch.
I will pursue this with the KS State AG and safety depts. until I am happy with Saber's acceptance / resolution. This is an incredible issue with a dangerous product with which Saber refuses responsiblity.
Please beware and avoid any ignition items sold by Saber Cycle. I have been riding over 30 years and while it's not much to loose power on a bike; it is while riding on a busy interstate in an overpopulated part of So Cal. Saber Cycle should be held accountable and they should be ashamed. Please speak out if there are similar issues and buyer beware.
Keeping the Shiny Side UP
Karl

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Karl
Unfortunately, you are not the first here to report that they have been taken by Saber Cycle and their refusal to refund moneys. Do a forum search of them and you will find lots of reading over the years with many warnings not to buy anything from them because of their faulty products and deplorable business practices.

Search results are 14 pages of posts to read through(this is a general search on S C, not all of the posts are going to be negative)
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/search.php?searchid=27293

Most people find out the hard way not asking, trying to buy something for cheapest price rather than doing investigative work on businesses and their practices.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
welcome to the forum from mid MD/PA area

i'm afraid that getting a replacement part from Saber is probably the only thing you'd ever recieve. A refund from your credit card company should have better results,if not i'd find another one too

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Saber Cycle vs Karl Louis Ochoa over GL1200 Ignition Switch

Did anybody bother to contact us in an attempt to flush out the truth before coming to conclusions? We are happy to provide you the entire documented communication between us and Ochoa in our support ticket system as well as that between us, Ochoa and the BBB of Kansas City. You will see that we referred to GoldwingTechs's GL1200 Ignition switch article to make our case and be sure to read all the comments to our post.

http://www.saber-cycle.com/blog/2013/01/saber-cycle-vs-karl-ochoa-over-gl1200-ignition-switch

For the record, the BBB didn't buy his story and Ochoa also lost his Visa charge back claim. One of our customers who viewed his video pointed out that, contrary to Ochoa's claim that the switch failure cost him his keys, Ochoa can be seen with his keys and Leatherman. Also, his bike has the controversial Poor Boy GL1200 alternator conversion, indicating he has had electrical issues. He reports that he's had two blown stators within the 2 years he's owned the bike in this October 2011 forum post:

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3909.html

One of his final malicious attempts was to post a product review on our 82-741, GL1200 slide diaphragm, that he never purchased. Mr. Ochoa, can you please tell us why you chose that part and not the 76-156 GL1200 ignition switch or some of the other parts you actually bought?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I don't know whats worse there, their products or their customer service. And FYI the ignition has nothing at all to do with having a poorboy on the bike, one would not affect the other in any way. SC has a reputation that they have held on to for many years and it has no doubt been earned. I won't spend a penny at that place no matter what the circumstances are. Looks to me like the man has a defective ignition system and just wants a refund and once again saber has proven they won't stand behind what they sell.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
While there are definately two sides to every story, throwing his name out there isn't cool.

But I know, ...you get slammed here a lot and the urge to defend gets stronger and stronger each time.

I hate seeing this BS. Take it out of the Tech Forum and put it some place else.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
While there are definately two sides to every story, throwing his name out there isn't cool.

But I know, ...you get slammed here a lot and the urge to defend gets stronger and stronger each time.

I hate seeing this BS. Take it out of the Tech Forum and put it some place else.

Did you read on their site the comments ? The guy they posted arrest records for is from TX and this guy is from L.A. ...... Typical stunt saber cycle would do . Yes I don't know where this thread belongs but I'm not at all surprised about it.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Nope - didn't read nothing but what is here.

This BS drama belongs in some other neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Sounds typical of SC product quality, and certainly their customer service response (or rather the lack of it).
Just like my cheap water pump I bought from them than the shaft broke off inside the engine just a few months after install, and whose gaskets were so paper thin that they refused to seal.
Save your money and your time and purchase 'anywhere' else!

I won't even go into the foul Email messages I and others have received back from them. Plus the rude responses I got when I politely pointed out their false information on an Ebay listing for timing belts where they used fear tactics to get people to purchase them when they referred to a non-existent cut off switch that would shut the bike down if the belts get too old and stretched?????

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Folks...Yes, Saber pulled items from my past to attack my character. I had been warned. I stand by my past. I posted in the tech forum maybe out of ignorance...but the ignition switch that failed did so on I5 in heavy traffic. I've been a daily rider for over two decades and this flipped my switch (so to speak). Felt the need to put out the warning for folks who may not have known the lengths this outfit will go. Saber is irrelevant and I am now in communication with the AG in MO. I wish all who have responded; good and bad, luck in keeping the shinny side up. Thanks Karl

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Folks, Bank of America claim has just been reopened - Saber will pay the Bank. Keys and leatherman are spares. Po Boy is the best mod for the 12s. Nothing to do with ignition. Runs 2 amps and a thinline sub in a saddlebag. Thanks to all. Saber...good luck with character attacks...no harm done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.