Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

First let me say I am an ASE auto tech so you would think this would be an easy one but I am baffled so figured I would throw this out to the experienced masses.

History on the bike: sat for years, has 94K miles, I brought it back from the dead. replaced fuel tank, all lines, fuel filter, used fuel pump,used coils and wires,rebuilt carbs, new air filter, new spark plugs,new timing belts,and a million other new and used parts irrelevent to the way it runs.

When she first started running it blew ALOT of mouse nest out of the exhaust, but didnt run too bad for being quite for 8 years. Mouse nest has been LONG gone and I have put about 800 miles on it. Carbs have been synchronized and it idles very well and low RPM feels good. On cold mornings(below 50F lately) she runs like a raped ape all the way to redline. As it warms up it will start with knocking noise in the 3-4000 RPM range and will not take throttle over 4000 RPM or so. Significantly worse on hot days like 90F. Now pulled plugs and they are clean white so I think it runs lean. Well I have chased this for over a month now and have just discovered that if I remove the top of the airbox she runs real good, remove the air filter and she screams to redline, so you would assume running rich. I have tested everything I can find information on these forums for. fuel pump flow=1 qt in 70 sec. looked in the airbox sitting still with a borescope camera and all the slides are popping open when I blip the throttle and all of the diaphragms looked great. So I wonder if the float level could do this. Took the carbs out yet again and fipped upside down set them at 7.5mm with needle just seatingbut not depressing center plunger. Carbs were boiled when rebuilt and all passages and jets are clean as could be.

So start throwing tests and/or thoughts at me cuz this thing is making me loose sleep. My first Goldwing after growing up around them and I love riding it and REALLY loved riding it with the airbox off. It had so much power after 4000 RPM I discovered the clutch was due to be replaced, never felt that before. BTW, have also runs seafoam in oil and since changed several times and ran some through fuel just for grins.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,391 Posts
imported post

JWineland wrote:
Took the carbs out yet again and fipped upside down set them at 7.5mm with needle just seatingbut not depressing center plunger.
Carbs should be more vertical when setting float level. Do you have the manual?

What year is it? Did you use an OEM filter? Any clicking from the fuel pump? How are the slide diaphragms? Are the carb caps OEM or chrome?

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
imported post

That is a strange problem and let me say am not familiar with the 1200.

A guess would be with the air box installed creating a slight vacuum underneath is some how screwing up the carbs through the air bleeds or bowl vents. That is about as far as I could take it without looking at them.

JD

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I have the Honda factory manual. it is a 1984. aftermarket filters and I do not hear clicking from the fuel pump. flow test was good, slide diaphragms are good as I mentioned and caps are OEM not chrome. This has the round plastics type floats that I can't seem to find in any of the videos aor images I have seen referencing float setting.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Driver Rider-- that is an interesting thought as one plenum screw is broke so there is probably slight air pulling in after the filter and a crack in the plenum as well. I would not be surprised if some air is getting drawn in after the air filter but was baffled at it running great with the box off entirely. maybe pressure differential messing up vacuum and/or slide action??

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
imported post

I have read bad plenum gasket is NFG. One of the other guys familiar with your ride will sort it out.:cool:

JD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.