Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know if other year GL 1200 controls will swap out with mine?

I am having trouble with my left hand controls, specifically my self canceling turn signals are not working. The original issues were that the switch would not slide left or right and when the engine was running, the controls would get extremely hot to the touch.

I dug into the controls and found a small transformer/electrical magnet (I believe) that is apart of the self canceling system. I am pretty sure from the burnt smell and the brown marks that this piece is fried. It has a spring and a round metal plug that I assume is supposed to slide back and forth when power is applied to the transformer thus releasing the switch for the use of the turn signals.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Can you post a pic? That sounds like a relay, and I don't think there are any relays in the controlls on the bars.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The 84 is unique in a lot of ways and that switch is just one of them so no other GL1200 switch will work.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Can you post a pic? That sounds like a relay, and I don't think there are any relays in the controlls on the bars.
That's what I was thinking so I swapped the relay out with another one. It sits down by the battery box by the starter solenoid. It didn't change anything but I think that is because the transformer/magnet inside the switch housing on the handlebars is fried.

Does anyone know how I can test the turn signal control unit/relay? My manual does not give any detail into that.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

but I think that is because the transformer/magnet inside the switch housing on the handlebars is fried
That's what I was saying, the transformer/magnet sounds like some kind of relay. When I pulled my controls apart it was just a switch with a couple contacts and springs. I've heard the '84 controlls are different, but I wouldn't imagine they'd be that different. That said,I never took the controlls apart on my '84, just my LTD, so I could be wrong. Also, if you're main problem is the self cancelling, check the sensors on the forks, although they should probably still turn off with the timer.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks, I'm interested, PM Sent.

IRAQI RAM wrote:
got a spare 84 control. $30 including shipping. let me know

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

you can just remove the self cancelling relay, it unplugs from under the wiring pocket on the left inner fairing, then just pull the wire from the handlebar along with the relay.
The switch would then work as any manual switch.

I have just had a similar problem, but mine was down to the plastics going brittle and breaking up on the slider part.
I removed the relay and switch unit then aquired an on/off/on toggle switch which with a small amount of filing fitted in its place.
with a splashproof cover over the toggle, I now find it easier to operate when wearing thick winter gloves.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
you can just remove the self cancelling relay, it unplugs from under the wiring pocket on the left inner fairing, then just pull the wire from the handlebar along with the relay.
The switch would then work as any manual switch.

I have just had a similar problem, but mine was down to the plastics going brittle and breaking up on the slider part.
I removed the relay and switch unit then aquired an on/off/on toggle switch which with a small amount of filing fitted in its place.
with a splashproof cover over the toggle, I now find it easier to operate when wearing thick winter gloves.
I actually pulled the internal transformer and the turn signal works now but I have to hold the switch left or right to operate it. I will try to go back to original operation/function before I consider doing something different. But thanks for the input though, I appreciate new ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.