Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hows everyone just wanna say thanks for advice in advance. So i bought a 84 gl1200 interstate. Had redo jets in the carbs. Those are doing good ran like a rocket for one trip and ever since i have been battling with it. I have just found out actually that i have no spark on my rear cylinders coming from my left side coil. Test the black and white wire for ground good. The bkue and yellow nothing at all. Trace back to cdi box have continuity all the way to and into box. Now idk what im missing ive tested set of 3 and 4 wires to the left of battery for the stator everything is good there. Im so lost and im about to scrap the bike even though i dont wanna please help.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Black/White should be power not ground the blue on one coil and the yellow on the other go to ground via the ignition unit which is NOT cdi.
With ignition and kill switch on and everything connected except yellow and blue comming out of coils momentarily connect the blue or yellow to a ground and see if you get a spark, then try the other one. If you get a spark both times the ignition unit and or pulsar coils are shot

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
Test the yellow & white/yellow & blue & blue/white wires at the 4 wire connector (lower end) by the battery for continuity. Should be close to the same. Then set your meter to AC volts and crank the engine, you should get a small voltage reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black/White should be power not ground the blue on one coil and the yellow on the other go to ground via the ignition unit which is NOT cdi.
With ignition and kill switch on and everything connected except yellow and blue comming out of coils momentarily connect the blue or yellow to a ground and see if you get a spark, then try the other one. If you get a spark both times the ignition unit and or pulsar coils are shot
So black and white are actually 12v? And the otherones are the ones that kill the engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Test the yellow & white/yellow & blue & blue/white wires at the 4 wire connector (lower end) by the battery for continuity. Should be close to the same. Then set your meter to AC volts and crank the engine, you should get a small voltage reading.

I this that all checked out perfect stator too

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
So black and white are actually 12v? And the otherones are the ones that kill the engine?
The yellow and blue are the ones that make and break the circuit to cause the coils to fire. Switch them and see if the rear coil fires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The yellow and blue are the ones that make and break the circuit to cause the coils to fire. Switch them and see if the rear coil fires.

Tried switching just back fired like crazy. Found i was getting spark to the plugs now somehow. But not alot. Those are the screw in type resistor plug caps so if those are that would make it act up to wouldnt it??

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
The resistors are 5K ohm and I think the coils are 10K so across frm one side to the other should show something like 20K ohms. If you get an open circuit one or both resistors could be bad. Take the resistors out and measure them separately, if bad replace them with something solid metal and see if the spark improves.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Seems like on one of my 4 cyl,I cut some off the end a cured a missing issue

·
Registered
566 Posts
You should not be trying torunit with the yellow and blue wire swopped just testing for spark with lugs resting on heads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts