Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone taken an 84 GL1200 Aspencade starter switch to pieces, how easy is it and what do I have to watch for.
I have the problem that when I push the start button all that happens is the headlight goes out ( I think thats built into the switch). The solenoid does not click so don't think power is reaching it. The problem is it is intermittent, most times it works fine then it stops it is usually when I do not have a test meter handy and when I have it works.
Any ideas ..apart from always carrying a test meter to ensure it will never go wrong. Up to now it has always started eventually but want to sort it, or does anyone have the Right hand switch set i.e. the starter button and engine kill switch, preferably in the UK due to shipping costs but beggars can't be choosers.
Peter

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Mine crumbled when I tried to clean it. I ended up replacing it using a miniature double pole single throw momentary push button switch from an electronics store.
Yes, the headlamp is wired on and switchs off when the button is pushed to engage the starter. It's all pretty simple and the button is connected to relays so it doesn't need to carry a huge amount of amps

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks morram, thats food for thought. I did not want to start stripping switch before I had a replacement if there were going to be problems, at least it works most of the time at present, but if I get hold of one of those switches at least I can throw something together. Time to look through the Maplin and Radio Shack catalogues I recon.
Peter

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Try cleaning it out without taking it apart.Try some of that spray electrical contact cleaner then lightly blow it dry. Might work

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

One other thing to check. The clutch switch may be worn out... On mine it got to the point that I have to pull "up" slightly on the clutch in order for switch to make contact internally (it's a normally open switch). I have a new one ordered.

You can bypass the clutch switch for testing using a short piece of wire. Disconnect the connectors from the switch and jumper with the wire making sure that the connectors/wire do not make contact with the handlebars or other metal. If the bike starts reliably now order a new clutch switch.

Do not leave the clutch switch bypassed as it is not safe.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the input guys,

Big John I have tried switch cleaner but only with everything in place and trying to spray past the button, may try a little dismantling and give it a good spray.

KENDAS will certainly try bypassing the switch as the last time it happened I was in a very dark place and all I did was wheel the bike about 10 feet where it was lighter so I could see what I was doing,first time I pushed the button it fired up so maybe just pushing the bike vibrated something in the switch. I had tried putting in and out of gear first in case it was the selector switch but that had no effect, also tried with the clutch lever pulled in, that made no difference either but after moving bike it worked fine, maybe it just did not like the view.
Peter

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

It could be a bad connection almost anyplace in the circuit..clean all the connections in the starter circuit, solenoid, battery, starter cable,clutch switch,etc. A bad connection due to corrosion can kill a circuit intermittently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.