Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone give me a quick run down on how to remove the starter (on the bike)?

It appears that all thats holding it on is the two phillips head screws, am i correct on this? thanks :D.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

There should be two 8mm head bolts holding it to the block. You may have to drop the exhausts to get enough room to pull the starter out and also on the 84 you need to put the bike on the side stand before pulling the starter out of the engine, this is to stop the starter sprocket rolling into the insides of the engine.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Alan, i was pretty sure that was the way to do it. Apprecitate the feed back

Take care and be safe

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks JDC I went to that web site before and it states on there that for 84 GL1200's that the removal was different. I wasnt able to find the GL1100 removal part the site recommends. But with the help of others i think :?i know how to do it. But thanks alot for the reply.

Take care and be safe

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

firefighter61 wrote:
Thanks JDC I went to that web site before and it states on there that for 84 GL1200's that the removal was different. I wasnt able to find the GL1100 removal part the site recommends. But with the help of others i think :?i know how to do it. But thanks alot for the reply.

firefighter61, I haven't ever done an 1100 starter myself but my friend has one & it seems to me he had to lay the bike completely on it's side to get the starter to line back up inside at re-installation time.. My late 1200's are a piece of cake as the inner sprocket stays put..

After completing the job post back & let us know what you encounter?

JDC

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

The GL1100 and the 1984 GL1200 are a bit more tricky as the sprocket can fall into the engine, but putting the bike on the side stand before actually pulling the starter prevents this from happening. Plenty of WD40 on the starter pinion and the o-ring on teh starter body will help everything slide back in easily.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

firefighter61,

I did the starter in my 1100 :11grey:not long ago. I had it resting on the side stand and it came out and back in with no problems at all. I used a 1/4" extension and universal on the back bolt and didn't need to drop the exhaust.

Good luck!

Bob

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well as it turns out before I removed the starter i decided to check the voltage on the battery, when i tried to start the bike the clock memeory went out etc.

I bought a battery charger from the local Honda dealer after allowing the battery to charge for several hours i tried to crank over the bike and the starter worked great and there was no drag at all. hummmmm lesson there i think.

But now i have another concern, the charger I bought charges the battery until a full charge and then goes into a storage mode. The battery was on the charger for over 12 hours and the charger never went into storage mode. I bought the battery about 3 months ago. So now my thought process is that either the battery is defective (its a yuasa) or i have a power drain somewhere. This morning I checked the battery with the voltmeter and its reading 14 volts, so it should have gone into storage mode. Maybe even the charger is bad (bought it yesterday).

If anyone has had a power drain problem i would appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.