Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys. Hope you can help me out here. Have a 84 GL1200 and not had it running since I bought it a couple of months ago. Motor is not seized. Rolled it down the driveway in gear with plugs removed. Bought a starter from a guy parting out an 84 Aspencade. I bench tested it before installing it. After installing the starter I tried using a jumper to turn the motor over, it was in nuetral, and the motor wouldn't turn over. The jumper would get hot like the starter is being held from spinning. Is there a wrong way to install the starter so that the the starter is wedged so it wont turn? Or could there be another problem. I stuck my finger in the gear that the starter is suppose to go into and center does turn the opposite direction like it is suppose to. Any Idea's?

Thanks Guys

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
The starter motor can't be fitted wrong. Does the engine turn freely enough in gear by turning the back wheel, or does it feel tight? Did it start when you rolled it down your driveway?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said the plugs were out. I was told to take them out so that the motor runs freely. I rolled down the driveway in gear no Problem.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
"After installing the starter I tried using a jumper to turn the motor over"
What did you jumper it with and how?
It needs a good bike battery in the loop to turn it over. Sometimes a weak battery and jumper cables to a car battery will work just do not use this with a car running to jump start as you will burn out the bikes systems with too many amps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.