Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

By brother has a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade. He replaced the stator (pulled engine and rear wheel) and now it does not run right. He said it will not start without giving it throttle and it will not stay running unless he keeps throttle on it. Sounds like an easy adjustment. The problem is, whether he gives it 1/4 throttle or full throttle it never seems to increase above idle. This bike ran perfect before the pulling the engine. We all just bought used Golwings and do not know much about motorcycles. Can someone help? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.:(

Thanks in advance.:?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I think I would start with the carbs. If you could look down the throat of them, Do you think they would open wide when you twist the throttle. How much movement is in the linkage when you work the throttle. What parts of the fuel delivery did you unbolt? What ever came apart has a seal. An "O" ring or a gasket etc. If they are not seated or they are damaged, your engine will suck air.

Did you have the heads & timing belts off? If so, you must re check that your cam timing is exactly on for every cylinder. There is a tutorial in the faq section for this.

Are your plug wires going to the proper cylinders? Does it help if you use the choke?

Keep us posted, The more info provided, the greater chance of finding the problem!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Check your cables to carb, something is wrong with the linkage. Maybe you reversed them, not adjusted properly. You have to take up the slack once you have the cables in in place. Turn the handlebar throttle & watch the linkage at the carb.

The choke knob has a tensioner just below the pull nob. Turn that until it tightens up enough to hold the choke in place. The choke has to remain full on when first starting a cold engine.

These bikes when cold, need full choke with no or very little throttle. Its been my experience that they are very easy to flood.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Sound like cable problems to me also. Not routed right, hooked up backwards or not adjusted right. Also the 1200's have a choke lever like the 83 Aspy's, not a choke knob.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

He said he checked the carbs. Butterflies open fully, choke is right, timing belts never came off, spark plug wires are on correctly, carb cables were never removed to my knowledge. The only disassembly was intakes were unbolted and hung out of the way. Now he tells me he keeps blowing ignition fuses. This just started a few minutes ago. He says every time he tries to start the bike it blows a fuse. I think it may be an ignition problem but I am all out of ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

set down with wireing diagram and a can of beer. check every wire that you disconnected. cause the more you post, the more it sounds like an electrical problem.

Do not get in a hurry and if you quit, go back after a break. Took me 2 weeks to find a misplugged wire.

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
imported post

Here something to consider: Maybe an electrical wire is pinched. As it sets pinched between metal, the insulation squeezes away and it begins to short. Look for pinches wires.

Ole Guy

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok. I just got off shift and I am here with the bike now. The bike fires up, but we get no throttle response. The bike has to be accelerated to fire and runs. Will not run at idle but never goes above 650 RPMs. If we try to accelerate the bike stalls. We discovered if we push the choke lever all the was down and continue pressure on it the bike starts easier but will not stay running if we release the throttle or accelerate. I don't think it's electrical but I have been wrong before (more often than I would like to admit).

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Try to confirm that the choke fully opens when the choke is pushed off. To test for a bad chassis ground, hook 1 booster cable from negative of the battery to a metal bolt on the engine. This will rule out a bad ground. Are you getting excess smoke out the exhaust while it runs?

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Might want to check the wiring for the electronic advance or pulse generators. It sure does sound like a pinched wire/missing signal. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Not getting any smoke, ground is good, choke appears to be fully open (cable is now broken), pulse generator wires are in good shape.Right now it fires up with no problem with some throttle. As long as we keep it at about 1/4 turn it'll stay running. Will not respond to acceleration but RPMs are now at about 800 to 840. Sounds like it may be starving but we can't figure out how. Fuel pump is good, fuel filter is new (old one weighed a ton and was very nasty), all fuses are good, and when it is idling it seems to want to get right. Every once in a while it sounds like it should for about a second then it goes back to puzzle mode. We are thinking of taking it to a shop on Tuesday. Before that I think we'll check the injectors. Do ya'll think it may have clogged injectors from sediment? This will be my last ditch effort before it goes to a shop. We just didn't want to have to pay $80/hour buti'm all out of ideas.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

To rule out fuel starvation, get a spray bottle & put a lil gas in it. Spray some right down her throat while she's running. If it begins to rev up from the gas, than gas delivery is your problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Taking a chance of sounding like n idiot. What is the chance that the new Stator is a hair bigger than the other one? I'm not exactly sure how Stators work, but from what I can tell the Stator stays in place while the engine spins around the coils to create some form of static electricity? To charge the system. Maybe. The Stator, OEM or Aftermarket, is wrapped much like a bunch of mini electro-magnets bound together. What I'm trying to say is, what if the aftermarket Stator that was put in is slightly larger in diameter than the OEM Stator that came off? That could cause the engine to give off all of the above symptoms, right? Does anyone have any input on this theory? I would hate to pull the engine back out for a third time just to find out that the stator doesn't even function the way I think it does.

Thanks for all he ideas so far. It's going to make it's way to a shop by next week if we can't figure it out by then.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Here is another one I was thinking of this morning on my way to work. I know it is said the order of the stater wires doesn't matter. But what if it does? Those three yellow wires of hell. What happens if they get connected in the incorrect order? Will this make a difference in the way the engine runs? I ask this question for 2 reasons. 1. We've tried everything else. 2. I will be cutting the plug off mine tomorrow as suggested by several different forums and articles. I don't want to make a mistake. Don't worry brother, we'll figure it out.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

No the yellow wire order does not matter. It is a 3 phase AC signal before it goes to the rectifier. The rectifier does not care about phasing at all.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Just checking. This bike is killing us. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the info guys. If you have any moreides, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Here's another one. Is the stater on the 1200 timing sensative? I mean, is it possible the stater was inserted incorrectly. Spun the wrong way? I spoke to a shop next to my station, and the guy works on Harleys and he said it is possible the stater may be out of whack. We may need to remove it and spin it to the correct position. He is going to make a call to make sure and call me back. He said he wasn't sure, but he'll find out.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
imported post

Similar problem on mine. Found the top cover on the air box was loose and I had dirty slides. Check that the slides move freely.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

If your fuel filter was that heavy ( full of crud ) I imagine some water/crud is in the carb bowls. Try draining the carbs & see what you get. Also make sure you don't have major vaccum leaks around head area. Sounds to me like the carbs have some crap in them.

Something doesn't add up. Two different issues: fuel & electrical. If your plug with the yellow wires is OK I would leave it alone. You could put some electrical grease on the contacts to prevent corrosion. I'm a believer in the moto: If it an't broke don't fix it. These plugs melt because of a problem in the electrical system. Fix the problem it's not the plug.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
imported post

Wingsailor wrote:
Similar problem on mine. Found the top cover on the air box was loose and I had dirty slides. Check that the slides move freely. Good luck.
My bad. Top cover of the air filter box. Sorry

I guess it is the top of the air box. It's the cover that the air filter rests on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.