Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I just bought an 84 gl1200I from a PO and I'm having a problem.

Heres the situation.

I purchased the bike last week. It started right up and ran great. I rode the bike from Indiana to Southern Illinois. About 90 miles into a 150 mile ride, the bike sputtered, lost power and I ended up on the side of the highway. The bike had no power. I was able to jump the bike and it fired right up. I rode for another 3 miles and the same problem, died and no power. Ended up using roadside assistance to get a flatbed.

I've since ordered some parts, after doing ALOT of reading on these forums, including a new solenoid, R/R, tune-up gear (timing belts, plugs, air and oil filters, etc.). I replaced the stock solenoid today (the dogbone looked terrible) and jumped the bike. It will run for about 3 - 5 minutes off the jump, then rpms drop steadily until it dies.. no power (no lights, no dash, nothing). It will start right up again with a jump and as long as I leave it connected to the jumping vehicle, it'll run until i shut it down. BUT, if I pull the jumper cables off, it'll again run for a few minutes then die without power. I am at a loss. I have tried a few of thew things I found on here, including directly connecting the three yellow stator wires. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any posts with the problem I'm having...

Basically, the bike will run if I leave jumper cables on to another vehicle, but loses power when disconnected. I know the battery is new (it tested good this last weekend), but it seems like the bike isn't charging and the battery won't run it for long. It's been almost 20 years since I last rode and I'm dying to get back out there. And fellas, I need help.

Would a bad stator cause this issue? Could it be the R/R? I'm guessing the battery is being drained and not charging, so could it just be wiring (corrosion, bad ground)? The fuses look good, and I don 't know if the bike would start and run with bad fuses... especially since it will continue to run without a hiccup if connected to another vehicle.

Any help... would be more than appreciated. I haven't been this frustrated since I had my third deployment to Iraq!

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I suspect the battery is bad OR the wires into the stator have burned,hopefully it not the stator,check the battery first,auto zone will do that for you.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There maybe various theories to explain the problem, but here is the one that might have happened although the alternator is good.

Since the dogbone fuse was bad, that might have prevented the alternator to charge the battery and the bike drained the battery.

Then after starting the bike using a jumper wire, bike could not continue to run, because the alternator could not produce enough voltage to charge the battery since it was at idle.

So, I think you should measure the voltage at the battery before and during starting, and at different rpms when running using a voltmeter, in order to decide on something.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
There maybe various theories to explain the problem, but here is the one that might have happened although the alternator is good.

Since the dogbone fuse was bad, that might have prevented the alternator to charge the battery and the bike drained the battery.

Then after starting the bike using a jumper wire, bike could not continue to run, because the alternator could not produce enough voltage to charge the battery since it was at idle.

So, I think you should measure the voltage at the battery before and during starting, and at different rpms when running using a voltmeter, in order to decide on something.
Agreed - put a multimeter on the battery, check voltage WITHOUT the jumper cables. Try and start it. I bet you're getting under-voltage, big time both before and after the start attempt.

Check the voltage WITH the jumper cables.

Start it up, watching the voltage with the jumpers attached.

Check the voltage WITH the jumper cables. then pull 'em and check it again. I bet that your battery is crapped out, along with either the stator being dead/bad wires or a bad R/R... Odds are, it's the stator/wires, especially since even with a bad battery, if the stator is working correctly it will keep enough current flowing to keep the bike going. Even at idle.

Welcome to the GL1200. o_0

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Agreed - put a multimeter on the battery, check voltage WITHOUT the jumper cables. Try and start it. I bet you're getting under-voltage, big time both before and after the start attempt.

Check the voltage WITH the jumper cables.

Start it up, watching the voltage with the jumpers attached.

Check the voltage WITH the jumper cables. then pull 'em and check it again. I bet that your battery is crapped out, along with either the stator being dead/bad wires or a bad R/R... Odds are, it's the stator/wires, especially since even with a bad battery, if the stator is working correctly it will keep enough current flowing to keep the bike going. Even at idle.

Welcome to the GL1200. o_0
Just a little objection to the last sentence.

When the battery is dead or drained, it will draw more current than usual behaving like a big capacitor, and at idle the voltage on the ignition circuit may drop and kill the engine, although it can produce enough voltage normally.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I suppose a fully charged, good battery could get you the 90 miles till the bike quit. I suspect bad stator, or the connector by battery is really bad. I also suspect the P.O. knew about the electical problem.
gumbyred

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. I will be attempting to charge the battery tonight. I'm hoping that cleaning up the wiring, changing the solenoid, and replacing the R/R will be enough for the system to start and charge as it should.

I'll be checking voltages once I get the battery charged and I'll post the results. Should I remove the 4 wire plug to the left of the battery and clean up those wires as well? Would the have any effect on the charging / running system?

Again, you guys rock! Thank you for the help. I'll keep the board informed :grin3:

Ride Safe!
Scott

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The stator/alternator wires need to be soldered,that is a common issue on 1200.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Did you get it checked out for being good?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately, not having a place nearby to get it tested, I'm left with charging overnight and using the voltmeter to check output tomorrow..

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
My first thought was what everyone else is saying, Battery. And anytime you clean the electrical contacts, you are not hurting anything.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.