Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Goldwing GL 1200 interstate and I am rewiring the bike entirely. As per the gl1200 standard wiring schematic that I am using as a guide to a point ,
Screenshot_20200517-000105_Gallery.jpg
I do understand how, from starter / battery relay, charged wire goes to ignition then out to starter/ run switch.. then the black and white wire comes out of starter/run switch and goes down to a point where it splits into 2 and 1 goes into ignition control but the other goes to each of a side of the coils, as illustrated on the attached pic with the blue dots i added onto the black and white wire..so if the black and white wire is lets say positive charge , going to each side of the coils and the spark plugs are used to ground to engine..what I dont get is, wouldn't plugs 1 and 3 always be sparking?
That is what doesnt make sense to me because i would think that would cause major issues..
Can someone explain if this is correct wiring...if its not then explain and provide a schematic of what it should be, if possible
Thanks
DJ
Screenshot_20200517-000105_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
247 Posts
Each coil has 4 wires on it 2 of which are HT and got to plugs, the black/white provides power to both coils and the ignition unit, the other wire also goes to the ignition unit and is grounded or not at different times depending on pulse coils and ignition unit.
Coils build up energy when grounded and release it to plugs when ungrounded(by the electronics wizadry in the black box)

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
Those spaghetti diagrams are hard to follow.
1200 ignition.jpg

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have a 1984 Goldwing GL 1200 interstate and I am rewiring the bike entirely. As per the gl1200 standard wiring schematic that I am using as a guide to a point , View attachment 322474 I do understand how, from starter / battery relay, charged wire goes to ignition then out to starter/ run switch.. then the black and white wire comes out of starter/run switch and goes down to a point where it splits into 2 and 1 goes into ignition control but the other goes to each of a side of the coils, as illustrated on the attached pic with the blue dots i added onto the black and white wire..so if the black and white wire is lets say positive charge , going to each side of the coils and the spark plugs are used to ground to engine..what I dont get is, wouldn't plugs 1 and 3 always be sparking?
That is what doesnt make sense to me because i would think that would cause major issues..
Can someone explain if this is correct wiring...if its not then explain and provide a schematic of what it should be, if possible
Thanks
DJ View attachment 322474
I have a 1984 Goldwing GL 1200 interstate and I am rewiring the bike entirely. As per the gl1200 standard wiring schematic that I am using as a guide to a point , View attachment 322474 I do understand how, from starter / battery relay, charged wire goes to ignition then out to starter/ run switch.. then the black and white wire comes out of starter/run switch and goes down to a point where it splits into 2 and 1 goes into ignition control but the other goes to each of a side of the coils, as illustrated on the attached pic with the blue dots i added onto the black and white wire..so if the black and white wire is lets say positive charge , going to each side of the coils and the spark plugs are used to ground to engine..what I dont get is, wouldn't plugs 1 and 3 always be sparking?
Thanks
DJ View attachment 322474
google "Wasted Spark Ignition Systems" for a better understanding .

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Each coil has 4 wires on it 2 of which are HT and got to plugs, the black/white provides power to both coils and the ignition unit, the other wire also goes to the ignition unit and is grounded or not at different times depending on pulse coils and ignition unit.
Coils build up energy when grounded and release it to plugs when ungrounded(by the electronics wizadry in the black box)
Thank you for the explaination..I appreciate it..makes sense

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
google "Wasted Spark Ignition Systems" for a better understanding .
I looked it up and read this and I learned something new technically..thank you for sharing what it was called..appreciate it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts