Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here I sit scratching me head…
Over the winter, I rebuilt an 84 STD from the ground up. Only thing I did not rebuild were the carbs. I was trying to make it through the season and then do a rebuild next winter.
Have gone through the entire electrical system, soldered all the critical connections, Stator, Pulse generators, R/,R etc.
Been riding it for the last 6 weeks and no issues at all. Bike has been running absolutely great.
2 days ago, I was at a stop light 2 miles from home when throttling back, I heard a loud backfire and the bike shut down. It continued to crank but would not light back up and has not since despite my best efforts. Hopefully, someone here can point me in the right direction.
Tested so Far:
ü Spark: Getting good spark on all 4 cylinders.
ü Compression: 163-169 psi between all 4. Checked the timing belts (Again)…No issues there.
ü Fuel System:
ü Fuel pump tested. Volume and pressure is good.
ü Drained the bowls. All bowls have fuel EXCEPT #1.
ü Thought I may have a HydroLock scenario going on so I removed ALL the plugs, Shut the kill switch to “Off” and cranked it a few times. No gas out of the plug holes. Also, no gas in the oil.
I have some spare, known good working parts from a donor bike to swap with: CDI Unit, Fuel Pump, Pulse Generator assembly, Coils,, etc.

Any ideas on where to troubleshoot next?
If 1 Carb bowl not getting fuel(Stuck Float) that should result in 1 cylider not firing…Not the other 3..Correct?
Thanks in advance for any direction.

- Tom

·
Born in the USSR
300 Posts
ü Fuel pump tested. Volume and pressure is good.
Hi Tom,

How did you test the pump? Just unplug one end of the tube and put it into the empty 2L CocaCola bottle. Press the button and see if the pump will pump fuel.

Sergey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how I tested the Pump. Disconnected the output of the pump and pumped it into a measuring glass. Also checked the fuel filter. Just replaced that with a Randaak's high performance filter before this happened. Fuel filter is clean. Tank was also cleaned and sealed as part of the rebuild. Confident fuel flow is in good shape.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you are getting fuel, spark and have good compression, it has to start.
So, you must not be getting spark at the right time. Sorry to say, it's most likely in the pg's. Pins have broken off the reluctor before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks GL. I'll let you know how that works out.
At least my plans for ALL Day Saturday are set now. 8)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well GL. .. You hit it right on the head. I was able to pull the PG cover..tight squeeze but doable without motor off or dropping the swingarm. When I got the cover off, that little pin that keys to the rotor on the shaft fell out on the ground. The rotor had a crack in the key hole and knocked the pin out. I put a drop of locktight on the tip of my finger, glued the pin to it and reached up and reinserted and seated it. Took the spare rotor I had and reinstalled. Tightened down the center bolt and she cranked right up!! Appreciate the direction. Took me about 2 hrs to find and complete the repair. Back riding tomorrow. Thanks again for the help. BTW, I used your electrical mod for the r/r reference wire and I am charging @ 14.3 vdc steady now. Take care... Out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question... The clymer manual references the torque spec for the rotor bolt is found on table 2 of the engine chapter but when you look there is only the spec for the PG cover. Anyone know the torque setting of the PG rotor bolt?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.