Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Whats up folks, I own a 84 Honda Goldwing thats very sick. One day she starts fine with no problems, a few days later nothing. No power at all. I've checked the battery(ok), starter (ok), fuses (ok). The only way to get it started is a jump. after it starts i then remove the jumper cable, she runs but the radio makes a weired humming sound (not sure what that about). After allowing it to run for some 30 minutes the RPM are flashing in and out (not sure what thats about). The Tale light indicator on the display comes on (not sure what that's about). After all that, I turnthewing off and try to restartNOTHING. what should I do next, try something else or put it to sleep and bury it in the back yard?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

how old is your battery? just because you have 12-13v doesn't mean bat. is good. have you checked dog bone fuses? charge your bat. completelly and run. just some ideas.:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

FWIW, I was getting a humming sound through my speakers. Traced it back to the starter solenoid, some of the wires had melted the connector.

Replace that stupid dogbone fuse ASAP. Get a blade type adaptor from Autozone etc and bypass the thing. It can have a hairline crack that is hard to detect.

Get your battery load tested. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be bad.

Checked the AC output from the three yellow stator wires yet?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,961 Posts
imported post

Hi Duckmiles, welcome to the forum.

Someone has already mentioned it so I'll emphatically second the motion. Check that big plug above the solenoid. That's the only thing I can think of that would have an effect on so many systems.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

In addition to the above good checks, make absolutely sure, that all circuit grounds are clean and dry of corrosion. Are the wires nice and clean where they enter each terminal?

What you are describing is alternator whine and that happens most usually from a sulphated battery.

The battery is the filter that keeps the alternator pulses out of the rest of the circuits. IF there is any corrosion between the alternator and the battery hum or a whine is what you will hear in audio circuits. The circuits include the frame ground of the alternator, the battery's ground cable, and the grounds of the radio and instruments. Grounds are just about the most important part of the wiring. No ground, no workee.

The flickering gauges and instruments all point to bad wiring.

If the battery absolutely tests good under a LOAD TEST, then there is most likely bad grounding or corroded wiring, and fuses that look good, but are not. It matters NOT that you just purchased that battery 2 or 3 months ago. How old was it when you got it? How was it first put into service? Was it correctly precharged and was the electrolyte properly administered into it? A lot of unknowns from what you have given us so far.

Replace all the fuses, they are cheap.

Pull the fuse block and inspect the back side of it. Anything look the least bit suspicious? If so, fix it.

EDIT: Because Mark Zimmerlee made me do it :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i agree with the rest said here but double check ground cable on battery..

mark:waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

zimmerleemark wrote:

Mark, you read "way too close" :waving:, I had to go back and correct my post. A gear slipped between my typing fingers and my brain. I thought I said that... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

zimmerleemark wrote:

:cheeky1::cheeky1:

dodge truck taught me that......headlights would kikk off and i could open the hood and lights would work again:cheeky1::cheeky1:

man taught me about ground cables...how important they are and to check often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.