Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

84 interstate fuelpump

644 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rideandslidejim 
#1 ·
imported post

My fuel pump is making a sound almost like a bad plug wire,not quite the same, but close enough that last night while looking for a spark,I touched the fuel pump and felt it thumping, in rythem with the popping.My question,is this normal,or do you think it should be replaced.Or ? Temp was 75 today,didn't ride because of this,please help!

#6 ·
imported post

In my experience, a fuel pump that is 'ticking' is about to give up the ghost.
Bobby

#7 ·
imported post

Mine only makes that ticking sound when being starved for fuel, it lets me know when i have not turned the petcock on.When it running you should feel a thumping if you touch it, but should not hear it. I would check fuel filter and tank for rust.

Jim

#8 ·
imported post

Jim,I have only turned my gas off about three times since I've had the bike.I wasn't going to ride it for a few days so I turned it off.When I tried to crank it up it was hard to crank and would barely run.It took a minute to realize the gas was off,when it smoothed out is when I started hearing the thumping,ticking.If I listen for it I can hear it otherwise I don't notice it.Is this normal,or do you think there may be a problem?

#9 ·
imported post

You should get in the habit of turning off the petcock every time you put her up. That way if you have a float stick open it will not cause fuel to hydrolock a piston or at least contaminate your oil.

I don't hear my fuel pump unless i have not turned on the fuel, but then again a have not really listened to it closely. Have you checked and changed the fuel filter ?

Jim

#11 ·
imported post

Don't use an Emgo filter, get a Napa 3011 or Honda stock.
With the Napa you will need a longer screw to hold it in the clamp as the outside dia. is a little bigger.

#12 ·
imported post

I also use the Napa 3011, think they about $3 each. Mine installed with no changes from stock,also put new fuel line at the same time.

Emgo had a real bad rash of fuel filters that desolved and caused a lot of carb problems.

Jim

#13 ·
imported post

I wonder if the audible clicking from the pump was always there more or less and unnoticeable until you tuned into it after starving it with the petcock. My hearing is still pretty good and I never hear mine. Any possibility the pump is old and running it dry caused something to give like a diaphragm or the like?

#14 ·
imported post

escogold wrote:
I wonder if the audible clicking from the pump was always there more or less and unnoticeable until you tuned into it after starving it with the petcock. My hearing is still pretty good and I never hear mine. Any possibility the pump is old and running it dry caused something to give like a diaphragm or the like?
That was my thought exactly. A lot of times we don't hear or see things that were always there until something unexpected happens to draw our attention to the area... then we start hearing or seeing the things that were always present but unnoticed and then start to wonder if it is normal. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.