Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently acquired this bike with 95,000 km. The stator had been recently done by the previous owner and a new battery was installed. The voltage across the battery terminals with the engine at about 1500-1700 RPM is approximately 13.5 v and initially when the engine speed is increased the voltage will increase to a maximum of 14 v for about 30 seconds; then it increases to 15 v and holds at that level at increased engine speeds.At the same time, the temperature gauge readout increases instanteously from low normal to almost the red band. I have driven this bike for the past week for about 500 km and during that time the temperature hand has not risen above low normal until today. Also the fuel gauge with less than half a tankshows above the "F" mark. Any suggestions for a solution are welcomed. Thanks.........................Don

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

15V is too much, you have a bad regulator. That might or might not be affecting the gauges. If you have digital gauges, it is definitely a possibility. Digital anything is VERY sensitive to voltage. Is the engine actually running hot, or is it just the gauge.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

If I start the engine up after being shut down for an hour the temperature will register low normal with ambient temperature of around 20C (68F); it will hold at that temperature for about 45 seconds and then jump to almost maximum. The engine at that point is certainly not hot. If I then shut down the engine, wait for 20 seconds and then re-start, the hand will register low normal for another 45 seconds and then spike.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have analog gauges? I'm just guessin' but it sound like issues with grounds. in the words of a poster from a VW forum I used to frequent "Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things. Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds."

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Your gauges operate on seven volts, only the engineers that designed them know why they did it that way.

When you first start the seven volt regulator is doing its job but as it heats up it breaks down and sends your gauges full battery/charging system voltage and they go wild.

I haven't hunted down the location of this regulator but yours needs replacing.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Your gauges operate on seven volts, only the engineers that designed them know why they did it that way
Now that is a useful bit of information, I'll have write that down in the back of my manual somewhere for when mine goes out (murphy's law, it's almost garanteed now that I know about it).:claps:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Thinking about it and yes my head hurts, it was probably designed that way because gauges work best at constant voltage, not the 11 volts of an almost dead battery and up to the 14 volts of the charging system. Seven volts was probably chosen because it's below the battery voltage that your bike will even start at.

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

An IVR (instrument voltage regulator) of that era would most likely be installed behind the instrument cluster. For cars, they would be on the printed circuit. Imagine the wing would be similar.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

It definately smacks of a bad voltage limiter.....for the gauges.

However, the voltmeter is driven off 12v ignition. If it is reading high (and 15 is too high) it's not due to the limiter. You have a charging concern as well.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the help; I started her up cold and moved her into my other toys garage to start cleaning all the terminals as a start; I noticed immediately upon starting that the temperature hand came up to the low side of normal and a few seconds later swung back to cold, where it should be on immediate start-up. I have read that there is a black sensor wire for the voltage regulator. Where do I find that wire on the bike to check its connections also? Don

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

don't know if it is a fluke, but I pulled apart several wires in the vicinity of the battery and reconnected as well as cleaning up the battery terminals and now after 100 km, the temperature hand is on the low side of normal with ambient temperatures at 21 C (70F). I still may have a tempermental instrument voltage regulator though. I will monitor over the next couple of days. Thanks for all the help.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,596 Posts
imported post

ic237 wrote:
Hello,
Do you guys know what year and models use this IVR?
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I think they all use something similar to keep the guages accurate despite battery voltage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.