Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HELP!! I got issues! Got an 84 interstate its been flawless for the last 6000 miles. Trailered it to the shop today for a rear tire change. returned home......it wont crank!!:?makes no sense whatsoever

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

Try wiggling the ignition switch. The '84s had problems with them. Also check the 30amp dogbone main fuse located on the starter relay. Due to age and heat they can sometimes crack or blow for apparently no really good reason....

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

it'll turn over and try to hit but only if i keep pressing the start switch. do you think by trailering it it shook up trash into the carbs it was literally just about out of gas

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
imported post

It's possible but I would at least use an inductive timing light to see if you're getting fire to the plugs...

BTW... You DID check the kill switch,, right??!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

anything is possible

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

yep checked the kill switch:headbanger:even drained the bowls thought about maybe water in the gas,fuel pump is sending fuel,shot a spritz of carb cleaner through the air intake and it'll run long enough to burn that off but after that she quits...???

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
I'd be all over that shop! jimsjinx
Why?? :stumped:All they did was change the tire.....

The next 2 things I'd check is make sure the fuel shut-off is turned on, and since you said the fuel was low, add a couple of gallons of gas and see if she'll crank. If she don't, check in your shop manual for testing the fuel pump for flow volume.

I'm no expert on carb's but I'd eliminate the easy stuff first before I'd consider pulling the carb's out.....

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thx Don i'll check the pump tomorrow,gettin later and gettin nowhere with it tonite i keep a check on my post through out the day if you guys think of anything else .
Keep the shiny side up guys/Peace and grease my man!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

may want to check your fuel filter and see if it got plugged up if there was gunk in tank :praying:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

I agree check the fuel shutoff the guys at the shop might have turned it off for some shop saftey reason

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

My money is on something simple like fuel issue or something just got vibrated loose. Check that dogbone fuse, useless as boobs on a boar hog in my opinion. Hard to imagine something major would happen just trailering the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

The only issues I have seen by trailering a bike is blowing out a fork seal (although I think the seal was ready to go anyway) or if you drop the bike off the trailer. There shouldn't be any difference with the bike ridding on the trailer and going down the road. I guess you could have a little gas sloshing, but I would think that would be pushing it. Where did you have your tie down straps and could you have knocked something off or lose while tying the bike down? The only other thing would be something happening at the shop where they changed your tire.

First I would check the fuel flow. Pull the outlet from the fuel pump and let it pump fuel to a container. There are measurements on how much fuel should be pumped but I would start with just making sure that works. If that looks ok I would start checking for a vacuum hose that got knocked off. After that the only thing I can think of is something in the carbs. Since it runs with a shot of carb cleaner I'm going to assume you have spark, although it may not hurt to verify that you have nice blue spark from your plugs.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

i believe im gonna drop the carbs this afternoon, drained the bowls last nite and noticed number 2 had a orange rust tint to it. number one and three hardly drained anything at all. it was on the center stand soi believe it shouldve been equally between the four of them?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
jimsjinx wrote:
I'd be all over that shop! jimsjinx
Why?? :stumped:All they did was change the tire.....

The next 2 things I'd check is make sure the fuel shut-off is turned on, and since you said the fuel was low, add a couple of gallons of gas and see if she'll crank. If she don't, check in your shop manual for testing the fuel pump for flow volume.

I'm no expert on carb's but I'd eliminate the easy stuff first before I'd consider pulling the carb's out.....
Maybe. But if it was a dealer, I would suspect something. I am not a believer in coincidences. Yes, they do happen, but not as often as many people think. I change my own tires, but if I were going to have it done, I would at least take the wheels off the bike and just take them in. I even do that with my cars. No way are they touching my cars. Nor bikes.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

the shop road tested the bike immediately after the tire job, it ran perfect as usual, it was loaded into my trailer an after a thirty minute ride home it died as i pulled it out of the trailer. (out of gas!) i put a couple gallons in it (fresh Gas!) it has yet to fire off

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Sounds as though you got a shot of gunk from the bottom of the tank. New fuel filter and some type of carb cleaning may be in order. You might get lucky and have itwork out of the carbs by catching it early... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:
Sounds as though you got a shot of gunk from the bottom of the tank. New fuel filter and some type of carb cleaning may be in order. You might get lucky and have itwork out of the carbs by catching it early... :gunhead:
Same from me. Seafoam in the tank as well. If you disconnect the fuel line to make sure you have flow and nothing comes out I would first look at the filter. You should be able to hear the fuel pump priming itself when you turn the ignition on. Hopefully if there's some gunk in the fuel system, the fuel filter caught it and you won't have to worry about the carbs, but I would still clean them just in case.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

don't forget to change the fuel filter
clean ALL the jets including the pilot jets

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

if you have SOME fuel in the bowls but not full bowls i would suspect something in the supply system, like the filter as mentioned, i would also check any kind of fuel shutoff.
in other words do the fuel pump test first and then go on to the carbs, if ya get it running with a filter replacement or a switch replacement then i would run some racing fuel through it to clean the carbs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.