Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello i have an 84 interstate i have noticed a little drip from the water pump weep hole. While waiting in traffic and stop lights it heats up fan is working . I am about to give up on her and sell her .

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Given your in Texas right now I would expect her to haet up quickly at stops and low speed. The fan should kick in a little before she gets overheated and hold her there until you get mpving again. Its what they all do. A few drips form the weep hole aren't unusual. Check the level in the recovery bottle after she has cooled completely. If you have to add more than one cup of coolant every 1,000 miles then its time to get the water pump checked.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

If you sell her that will resolve every problem with her! But it will leave you with no Goldwing.

These bike do get a bit hotter without air moving over and thru that heat exchanger up front. The weep hole tells you that a cooling and /or oil problem is going to happen.

There are a lot of passages about both on this site, so if you are not that upset, try searching and using "Weep hole" in the search box might lead you down the right path.

Your 84 is a great bike and like all things that great bike will need care, feeding and a burp every so often.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

BACA Grizzly wrote:
Hello i have an 84 interstate i have noticed a little drip from the water pump weep hole. While waiting in traffic and stop lights it heats up fan is working . I am about to give up on her and sell her .
When mine started to weep on my 84I I pulled the pump and the bearings were shot.
It's not cheap for an OEM pump and gaskets and a few hours work but it should last you for another 20 years.

And yes in stop and go traffic the fan will run, that's what it's there for.

Also when you say it heats up does the gauge go into the red or just higher than when your on the open road?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

when you do replace the water pump, make sure that you have fresh oil and filter.

Drain oil and water before you begin.

I don't beleive that there is a Water pump "kit". You have to order all pieces separately, so make sure that you have all o-rings, seals and gaskets before you start.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

it goes right at the red but after i get moving it cools about halfway .the fan i have on a switch and leave on in weather like today it was 104 today.

I love this bike and when it runs i will ride 300 plus a day on the weekend

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I agree with all above and don't give up on the bike. They run a little hot in this weather, it's been around 100 in Charlotte for a long time now and the fan runs a lot in the city driving. You might be looking at a water pump change in your down time but where else can you get a good bike like these for the money? They are worth it. If you have a manual switch, make sure you turn it off going down the road. If the fan runs at highway speed, it will hinder cooling.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i would suggest pulling the radiator and have it rodded out. the last one i had done was $100.00. money well spent it was about 20% plugged. :smiler:walkabout

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Is it overheating or just running hot? I suspect that you think it's over heating because the gauge is moves up to the hot mark. All 1200's do that. Now if it overheats and pukes coolant then you have a problem. Otherwise I'd find something else to worry about.

The weep hole dripping is a pretty good indicator of a failing water pump. About $200 in parts and a weekend work pulling the front cover off. There are plenty of How To's on this topic. While you have it apart have the radiator boiled out and replace the radiator cap, thermostat and upper and lower hoses. Might as well do the timing belts unless you know for fact they have been changed in the past few years. About $250 total for all, including the water pump and gaskets, but then you're good for another 20 years of riding that bike.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

yeah, what he said

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

i changed my waterpump for $165 bucks and changed both my timing belts for $32 each ! did it in about 10 hours and never had a problem since

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.