Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I changed the timing belts last winter and have noticed that the bike has a whine when it is reved up, could it be that the belts are to tight or will they have to be broken in. I cannot recall hearing this noise before,the bike has 86,000 kms on it.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Hi. From what i have read it sure sounds like tight belts BUT i have never had the problim so i cant say for sure.

Pat

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Most probably is the belts, don't say what milage you've done since changing them,you need to pop the timing covers and check them before any damage is done, overtight belts will cause the tensioner bearings to rapidly wear not to mention whatthe extra loading on the belts will do to them.

A simple check will save you a lot of heartache later on. If the belts are fine, well, you know to look elswhere.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I always run the bike with the belt covers off to make sure they don't whine, before I put it back together. I agree that's probably the culprit.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Could it be possible that you are just super conscious of the whine since you changed the belts? After all, we are our own worst critics.

If you listen to any engine that uses cogged rubber belts you will always hear a whine. The whine is caused by the air being squeezed out of the gap between the beltand sprocket.

Ever listen to the normal sound of a hot rod with a 6/71 or 8/71 supercharger? They whine extremely loudly.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Could it be possible that you are just super conscious of the whine since you changed the belts? After all, we are our own worst critics.

If you listen to any engine that uses cogged rubber belts you will always hear a whine. The whine is caused by the air being squeezed out of the gap between the beltand sprocket.

Ever listen to the normal sound of a hot rod with a 6/71 or 8/71 supercharger? They whine extremely loudly.

Vic
There's definitely something to what you say Vic, but there's also the fact the damn things will make odd noises, whistles, squeaks if the timing belts are a wee bit tight. Probably will go away if you let it go for awhile, I know when I set the belts on my 1200 I could hear it and they were set right at the 1/4" slack with 4.4lbs (damn metrics). The only problem was that I couldn't stand it so took off the covers and slacked off a little bit. Sound went away. But it might have gone on it's own as the new belts settled in. Shoulda waited!

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I think you should really take off the covers and have a closer listen. Ignoring that noise when you suspect timing belt tensioners wouldn't be wise. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:

Vic
There is a lot of truth in what Vic says. If you think you hear new noises on your bike after repairs, you should try working on a small aircraft and then give it a test flight afterwards :shock:,, you really hear a bunch of new gremlins when your feet will no longer touch the ground.....:goofygrin:, I am sure Paul can relate to this....

:12red::cooldj:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
There is a lot of truth in what Vic says. If you think you hear new noises on your bike after repairs, you should try working on a small aircraft and then give it a test flight afterwards :shock:,, you really hear a bunch of new gremlins when your feet will no longer touch the ground.....:goofygrin:, I am sure Paul can relate to this....
You haven't lived until you have a couple screws come out of a wing root fairing on top of a Cessna 180 wing. I aged a couple years in that ten minutes. Sounded like and elephant was tap dancing.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
dean_3326 wrote:
You haven't lived until you have a couple screws come out of a wing root fairing on top of a Cessna 180 wing. I aged a couple years in that ten minutes. Sounded like and elephant was tap dancing.
I can not imagine, the old1946 Piper J3 I flew had no radio, the farther from the airport you got the more new engine noises you would hear, the fuel gauge on them was a cork bobbing in the tank with a wire sticking out a hole in the fuel cap, when the wire got short it was time to head home...I loved flying it, landing at 45 mph....it had a 90hp Continental.:)

:12red::cooldj:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.