Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. Bought a seized up GL1200 from a buddy. Tore it down found cracked #1 cyl bent valves. Got a hold of new used lower case, pistons and head. Rebuilt motor, by the way, hard to find new parts. Set the timing ran great for about an hour then started to get valve tap on left side then locked up. Pulled timing cover and left side belt was stripped about 4 inches and bent an exhaust valve. Not sure what could have caused this. Any ideas before I fix head and set timing again?

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
899 Posts
You didn't re-use old timing belts? Only thing I can think of that would strip a new belt is that head wasn't getting oil pressure and seized the cam....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New belts. But you have an interesting point. Didn't have much oil in valve cover. Will pull apart head and check cam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You didn't re-use old timing belts? Only thing I can think of that would strip a new belt is that head wasn't getting oil pressure and seized the cam....
Sure enough. Got scoring on front cam journal. Will rebuilding the front oil pump solve this or do I need to pull motor to do both pumps? I think the back pump is just for the clutch. Am I correct in this assumption?

·
Registered
99 Posts
What do you mean by left cam belt stripped about 4 inches? Did cam belt break then causing bent valve? Only thing I can think of that would strip a cam (on opposite side of belt teeth) belt is seized up tensioner pulley.
gumbyredd

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Sure enough. Got scoring on front cam journal. Will rebuilding the front oil pump solve this or do I need to pull motor to do both pumps? I think the back pump is just for the clutch. Am I correct in this assumption?
It's more likely the orifice between the head and block is plugged.

·
1,768 Posts
It's more likely the orifice between the head and block is plugged.
And always check the new head gasket for "oil hole" in the right place, - easy to check before mounting on the gasket by placing old and new on top of each other on the work table.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts