1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Honda should produce a wing like this

using a six cylinder.

Honda needs to drop alot of plastic, folks like to see the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

The plastic is there for a reason. Shiny engines are pretty, but (as you know, if you have a 1200) they throw off a lot of heat, especiallywhile sitting still. The 1500s don't fry the operator in traffic the way the 4 cylinders did.

The heat is pulled across the engine, and thrown out the side grilles - instead of being blown in your face. That said - the 1500s are also a lot more of a pain to work on, due to all of the overlappingtupperware.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
imported post

WING... i'll agree with you on that one! I always get Baked by my 1100 in slow traffic situations... My next one will be the 1500. more of a pain to work on. But more comfortable in heat situations ! Plus, more room to carry stuff than the newer 1800's....

·
Honda Guru
2,014 Posts
imported post

Are we forgetting the 75-79 GOLDWINGS???
No plastic…. shiney engines.

OR
the 80-83 GL1100 STD. GoldWing badge…. shiney engine, no plastic!!

OR

the 84 GL1200STD. Again… no plastic and it's still had the GOLDWING badge.

Just because it says GoldWing doesn't mean it HAS to have a bunch of plastic.
It might have evolved into a plastic touring machine but it used to be a 'superbike'… which is what Honda originally designed the GL1000 as.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Have you owned or riden an H-D on a hot day? Talk about being baked by exhaust pipes!
Bobby

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

Too bad they don't make em naked any more. I'ld kill before I gave up my 83 std. :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

These have taken care of the heat issue for me and have not affected the temp gauge.

I have other bikes to look at engines,I like to be comfortable on my wing.;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

kywinger wrote:
Honda should produce a wing like this

using a six cylinder.

Honda needs to drop alot of plastic, folks like to see the engine.

They do, they changed the name to "Valkyrie".

but wait..........they stopped making that too......

hmmmm, ya wonder who makes these decisions, seems like it was a popular Motorcycle.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It was very popular indeed. The Valkyrie or F6C as it was called here sold in big numbers. Honda may have dropped it because it was affecting sales of new Goldwings.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Had a '78 back in the day. Windjammer fairing and Hondaline detachable bags. Was it ever a blast to rip the bags off and cruise around town with all that chrome flashing. But for traveling you had to have the space. Jump ahead 30 years and the same rules apply. But pretty hard to rip the plastic off the SE. So what to do? 2 Bike Syndrome, of course. Now I've got the best of both worlds. One to pull the better half and the camper down the road and the Fat Lady to light it up when I just want to go out and feel like a kid again. :cheesygrin:

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would like it to be somewhere in between. Like the Valkyrie Interstate. But they discontinued that too. One thing I've noticed is whenever Honda winds up with a successful model, they tend to discontinue it. Just recently they have discontinued all versions of the Valkyrie, the Magna, the Shadow Spirit 1100, the CB750 Nighthawk, The CB250 Nighthawk, and the VLX600. Farther back, the GL/CX500/650, the Nighthawk 700, and a number of 400/450 models. The 450s were perfect beginner bikes for a full sized adult, and could be kept around longer. Unlike a 250, they could be ridden pretty much where any other motorcycle could. They nearly put themselves out of business in the U.S. pushing the VTX1800, a bike that even a few owners told me they didn't like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.