Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have noticed that sometimes (not often) my 84 Aspencade will really belch out alot of white smoke on start up but as soon as I take the choke off the smoke quits. Not really sure why and it is not that often. Puzzling and at first rather frightening (thought I blew a head gasket) Can anyone enlighten me as to why? Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you don't have bubbles in the radiator neck, the spark plugs look normal, no sign of water contamination in the oil and you're not losing coolant I guess it's just the over rich mixture smoking white instead of the normal black of over rich combustion. Don't know why.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

The valve seals could be going bad. Pay attention to whether it smokes after sitting overnight (or a long time-hours) or whether it smokes anytime the choke is on. Black smoke normally indicates a fuel problem and white smoke indicates coolant or oil problem. Secondly try this; start it as you normally do and if it is smoking immediately remove the choke while using the throttle to keep the rpms up (keeping the rpm up while the engine is cold & choke removed will not be easy because the engine needs choke when it is cold)and note whether the smoking goes away or not. If the smoking goes away then you have a fuel problem but if it does not then it is an oil or coolant issue.

Knot750

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I don't think I have ever seen an olde-wing that didn't smoke some at start-up and always worse after sitting a long time

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

My 1200 only smokes when it has been sitting for a long time ON THE SIDE STAND. If it sits on the center stand it does not do it. i was told that the loil is seeping through the 25 year of rings while parked at an angle.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Most engines that have inverted cylinders collect oil in the cylinders when shut down. The hot oil is pretty thin and seeps past the ring end gaps. A 'Wing engine tilted on the side stand is pretty much the same thing. Radial aircraft engines are bad for this very thing, the lower cylinders often collect excessive oil and can hydraulically lock. That's why they are usually cranked over with the magnetos off first to make sure the jugs are clear. I have seen a cylinder blow off a Continental 145 that had a hydro locked cylinder. We were never sure if it was flooded by gas or oil but the cylinder blew off the base which was still bolted to the crankcase. Made a heck of a mess and sure messed up the engine cowl too. Luckily in this case no fire was started. Sure got my attention at the time since I had the same model engine on my Cessna.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies. No bubbles in the coolant and am not loosing any. No coolant in oil or visa versa. The smoking stops as soon as I take the choke off. Does not do this all the time it is a transient issue. Just can't figure out what is causing it. I could be spraying for mosquitos the way it looks sometimes. Other times she starts up and does not smoke at all. Go figure. Runs well so I guess I won't worry about it but it just seems odd that it only does it occassionally and I can't put a finger on it. Could sit for 2 weeks and not do it and then sit overnight and smoke like a steam engine (only whiteish smoke but the smoke does linger like it is oil) Thanks, Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.