Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I shift from 1st gear to 2nd the neutral light blinks. The rpm's, speed, etc., doesn't seem to matter. It only does it from 1st to 2nd on the upshift not when downshifting, also there is a unusual clunk noise when going to 1st from neutral and shifting out of 1st to 2nd only. Are the two related? The trike has 49,150 miles and it did the same thing before I triked it, any ideas or should I just drive it till the gears fall out????? Thanks

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

There is nothing wrong. When you shift from 1st to 2nd you pass through neutral so of course the light blinks. It probably does it downshifting too. They all clunk when putting the trans in gear and from 1st to 2nd. Quit worrying about it.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

+ 1 on what Dave said. That neutral light blinking on the 1-2 shift is normal as is the "Goldwing Clunk" shifting into 1st gear (and sometimes through other gears as well).

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The light blinking is normal, as are the clunks. On mine, and most other bikes I have and have had, the clunk is far worse shifting from neutral to first while not moving, after the bike has sit still for more than 2-3 seconds. You are engaging 2 gears together, one will be spinning, from slight clutch drag, while the other will be stopped. I avoid this problem on all bikes by always starting the bike in gear. You will notice it does not clunk (not very badly anyway) as you downshift from second to first while coming to a stop. That is because both gears are still turning. After setting a few seconds, one stops.

While it may or may not be doing any damage, I just hate that loud CLUNK you get when shifting from neutral to first with the engine running. It is not only loud, but you can feel it as well. That has got to be putting a heck of a shock load on those gears. It doesn't bother a lot of people, but I prefer to avoid it. Shift into first BEFORE starting the engine, and stay in first with the clutch pulled in at stop lights.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

What kind of motor oil are you running? I was running Castrol 10/30 and switch over to Delo 15/40 and it leasoned the clunk and motor noise was leasoned, my buddies 1200a had they same results SamG

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

What kind of motor oil are you running? I was running Castrol 10/30 and switch over to Delo 15/40 and it leasoned the clunk and motor noise was leasoned, my buddies 1200a had they same results SamG

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would definitely switch to 20w50. The heavier oil will give it a little more "cushion" when the gears slam together.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks guys for the input and I might try a different oil next change. Down here in South Texas it's only been 105 degrees so a thicker oil may work------can't wait for our one day of winter in February.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.