Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After taking a few years off away from motorcycling the bug has finally bit again and I've taken my 84 wing out of mothballs and been riding again this summer.

After taking a early 3:00AM ride to work the other day I quickly remembered the very poor headlight output. It has the stock 55/65w bulb in it right now.

Before I spend $50.00+ on a new high output bulb.....I'm curious if it is really worth it? I've been paging through the Dennis Kirk catalog and have seen several different bulbs with different watt ratings (85/130, 100/100 etc) and don't want to waste my money on something that isn't going to be any better then what I have now.

Also....my bike (interstate) did not have a radio, the previous owner installed a aftermaket (auto) radio. The antenna and speakers are fine but the radio itself was cobbled into the factory opening. While I had the bike apart for forkseals, new timing belts, radiator hoses, alternator wiring repair etc. I removed the cobbled up mess!

I've been trolling ebay and now have a good OEM Hondaharness, amplifier & auto volume control but am still watching for a good radio. After reading a lotof the listings I see reference made to a Panasonic RM1100 model and a RM1300 model.

What is the difference and does it matter?

Thanks in advance for the help!:)

Doc

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Why not just get a Phillips type bulb, the bright ones that are only 55/60 but throw out 30% extra light. These do work and don't use any more current or generate any more heat. A 130/80 bulb will burn out the bulbholder and switch in short order.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Hi Doc (and others),

You know, I thought the exact same thing...... 50 bucks for a light???....not just any light, but a magic lantern that promised 30% more light for the same power?
Since I was not in the mood (yet, I will do it, but just dident have time this rebuild session) to wire in a relay for a more powerful light (and improve the current one if I dident change it!), I thought I would just spend the money......

SO, when I got home, it occurred me that my fellow wingers on this fine forum might be as interested as I was..... having a spare moment on my hands, I tested it and proved for my self what all the hype was about.......

So, here are the results. On the top we have the stock standard 55/60w light on high beam. It tops out at 131 lux and 5.2 amps.
Then, in the middle we have a 80/100w on high beam. It showed 137lux and 8.3 amps.
Then, on the bottom, we have the Philips VisionPlus. I showed 150 lux and 5.4 amps.
(All shot with the camera on manual shutter/iris and fixed/manual white ballance).

So, first up, notice Philips is telling little blow flies, its not more light for the same power! No matter how I tested it, at any voltage, on high or low beam, it always drew a little more power than the stock 55/60w (remember the Philips is rated at 55/60 as well!). Mind you, it was always just a little, and it was always way less than the lux meter said it should have!
Next notice that it is whiter. I wanted to see further, not whiter, so I bought the VisionPlus and not the BlueVision or the CrystalVision or what ever they call those blue lights (some are sold, but not legal for road use down here in Aust). The Vision Plus claim 20m more seeing distance. I have not tested the distance claim yet, but believe it might well be reasonable given the extra lux we are getting (and the little more whiter light can not hurt).

So, the long answer to your short question is yes. They are magic and it is worth the money....IMHO
I am very happy with it on my Wing.....I still think exavid's of running a better earth and putting a relay in with a heavy cable from the battery has a LOT of merit, but if you want to quickly and easily improve things, change the globe.

Ben.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

astrotlv wrote:
Hi Doc (and others),

I am very happy with it on my Wing.....I still think exavid's of running a better earth and putting a relay in with a heavy cable from the battery has a LOT of merit, but if you want to quickly and easily improve things, change the globe.

Ben.
Not me Ben, I haven't had any head light problems, probably Twisty.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Sorry, exavid, you misunderstood, what I meant was your idea to get a little more out of what ever headlight globe you have installed by proper grounding and installing a relay and good battery cable has a great deal of merit and should be considered by all. But I understand that not everyone is up to that job, so if you fit this latter case, then changing your globe for a Philips one is a good compromise.
I did not mean to infer that you had any sort of problems at all.

Ben.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

astrotlv wrote:
Sorry, exavid, you misunderstood, compromise.
I did not mean to infer that you had any sort of problems at all.

Ben.
Wwhat I meant Benwas connecting up the headlight through a relay to get more voltage at the bulb was Twisty's post, not mine! You can infer that I have all sorts of problems, feel free. Right now the main one is a couple of damn bug bites that itch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.