Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall my wing got sick, it acted like it was running on 2 cylinders. Over the winter I replaced the stator, cleaned the fuel tank and removed the screen in the tank. Replaced the fuel line and fuel filter. Replaced the spark plugs. Also replaced the fuel pump. The bike runs great for about 6 or 7 miles then starts cutting out. When I leave the house the fuel filter is full of fuel but when it starts cutting out the filter is about dry. I can hear the fuel pump working but no fuel is feeding to filter. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
Sounds like something is plugged, pre-filter. That's a short list.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
Open the gas cap and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have cleaned the carbs and still the fuel filter runs dry. I tried leaving the gas cap open same result. Could the petcock be the problem? Fuel seems to flow freely if I remove the fuel line?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
any chance you installed the filter backwards,at idle it might fill but at speed cant keep up or or gas tank fuel shutoff isn't opening fully

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
Howdy!

How did you "clean your tank"? Did you use a tank sealing product afterward?

Can you pull the fuel line from the inbound end of the fuel filter and (hold it above the fuel level in the tank) blow easily through it into the fuel tank making bubbles with the petcock in the "On" and "Res" positions? While you're at it, check the same thing with it in the "Off" position just to know if your petcock seals the fuel flow when in that position.

I cleaned an ungodly bad 1100 tank with the electrolysis method and intentionally did not use a sealer. I run two fuel filters and will for awhile. You can only get so much micro-crap out of the tank when they're horrible to start with, but not rusted through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tank wasn't to bad it had black flaky film inside. I pulled out the sending unit and used a scotch brite pad and a screwdriver to shine it back up. Double checked fuel filter for correct flow direction it is good. Pet **** checked good can blow thru it on position and not in off position. Have ran bike more and fuel flow has gotten better. Still having power loss after bike gets hot. Can pull number one or two plug wire and it makes very little difference in idle. If I pull number three or four the bike almost quits. Can see a noticeable difference in length of spark using a screwdriver in end of wires to ground. I have tried a different coil get same weaker spark. Getting 12 plus volts to both coils. Voltage regulator is getting very hot is that normal? Thanks for all suggestions and advice

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I'd focus on the fuel delivery problem first. If everything is correctly connected to the new fuel pump and the lines are clear to it and out of it it should spurt fuel at 4-6 lbs. of pressure occasionally. If the fuel tank cap is not plugged and the petcock is working fine, then how the hell can you be running out of fuel at the fuel filter?

Hmmm. I can only ask my previous question: How did you clean the tank and can you blow back through the fuel supply tubes (On and Res, two different levels in the tank)? My first guess would be a blockage in the primary tube that constricts fuel supply to a level just below what the fuel pump needs.

But, don't worry, smarter folks will show up shortly!:ROFL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.