Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike dropped about a 6" diameter oil spot on the floor of my garage, shortly after riding about 120 miles. I had just changed the oil (and filter) with 3 quarts and 13 ounces of 15W40. (13 oz = about .4 quarts, if my math teacher did a good job.) The oem dip stick showed the level (cold) just at the full line. Could too much oil have caused a leak from the weep hole?

I'm grasping at straws here because I had the same problem back in 2016 (thread dated August 16, no# available) after working on the water pump and replacing the gasket. Problem was an o-ring then.

Note: Bike hasn't been ridden much in the last couple years.

Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
If oil is coming out the weep hole it is a very good bet the o-ring or seal on the pump has failed. That is the purpose of the hole. Overfilling has nothing to do with it.
There is 36 ounces in a quart. If you added 13 ounces that is closer to a third of a quart. :)

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
No, high oil level won't do that. The wrong anti-freeze will, but once it's done there's no going back. You could go in and replace the o-ring again, but the way you describe the leak, I'd just replace the pump.
It's not the water pump leaking oil, it is the oil pump seal. What it will do though is wash the grease out of the water pump bearing.

·
1,599 Posts
What DaveO430 said
Oil leak from the weep hole on the water pump is caused by an worn out oil seal for the water pump axle . This oil seal is located in the oil pump housing .
An oil leak from the weep hole wont be cured by replacing any gaskets,O-rings or the water pump itself .

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My thanks to you all for your posts. I was afraid that simply overfilling the oil was too simple an explanation.

Does the engine have to come out to replace the oil pump seal? (Fingers crossed here.) Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
My thanks to you all for your posts. I was afraid that simply overfilling the oil was too simple an explanation.

Does the engine have to come out to replace the oil pump seal? (Fingers crossed here.) Thanks.
Are you sure it is oil and not coolant mixed with grease and gunk?
If memory serves me there is an o-ring to keep oil out of the weep hole cavity and another to keep coolant out. If the o-ring that seals oil out has an issue you could have your problem. Also, are you using new crush seal washers on the water pump retaining bolts. Oil can seep by the bolts and leak from there as well.

·
Administrator
21,899 Posts
It's not the water pump leaking oil, it is the oil pump seal. What it will do though is wash the grease out of the water pump bearing.
What DaveO430 said
Oil leak from the weep hole on the water pump is caused by an worn out oil seal for the water pump axle . This oil seal is located in the oil pump housing .
An oil leak from the weep hole wont be cured by replacing any gaskets,O-rings or the water pump itself .
Okay, so you're saying that the o-rings shown here aren't causing the problem, it's an o-ring inside the pump? If that's so, how does Pete replace the o-ring without replacing the pump?

A very long time ago, Bike had oil leaking from the weep hole and the mechanic said it was the pump. He replaced said pump and the leak stopped.

Attachments

·
1,599 Posts
Okay, so you're saying that the o-rings shown here aren't causing the problem, it's an o-ring inside the pump? If that's so, how does Pete replace the o-ring without replacing the pump?

A very long time ago, Bike had oil leaking from the weep hole and the mechanic said it was the pump. He replaced said pump and the leak stopped.
Sorry for my inadequate English , but when oil leaks from the water pump leap hole it is the seal for the axle that is worn out !
This OIL SEAL (not a gasket or an O-ring) is located in the oil pump housing , - where the water pump axle connects.
(look at the oil pump schematic , - as i dont know how to post a link ).

·
1,599 Posts

No , the engine dosnt have to come out , - just remove the front cover (as you do when you replace the water pump) look where the axle for the water pump connects and there is the oil seal ( in the oil pump housing).
MAYBE it is a good idea to also replace the water pump because the bearing inside MAY(most likely) be washed out for grease , - as DaveO430 also said.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure it is oil and not coolant mixed with grease and gunk?
If memory serves me there is an o-ring to keep oil out of the weep hole cavity and another to keep coolant out. If the o-ring that seals oil out has an issue you could have your problem. Also, are you using new crush seal washers on the water pump retaining bolts. Oil can seep by the bolts and leak from there as well.
Yes, it's oil, for sure. I don't remember crush seal washers on the water pump, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the post.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No , the engine dosnt have to come out , - just remove the front cover (as you do when you replace the water pump) look where the axle for the water pump connects and there is the oil seal ( in the oil pump housing).
MAYBE it is a good idea to also replace the water pump because the bearing inside MAY(most likely) be washed out for grease , - as DaveO430 also said.
Thanks, Smeden, for the good news and the bad news. The bad news is that I should replace the water pump. I doubt that it has more than 200 miles on it, and they're not cheap. I replaced it in 2016, and this bike really doesn't get ridden very much.

·
Administrator
21,899 Posts
Thanks, Smeden, for the good news and the bad news. The bad news is that I should replace the water pump. I doubt that it has more than 200 miles on it, and they're not cheap. I replaced it in 2016, and this bike really doesn't get ridden very much.
I can't see how the seal could go bad in 200 miles, or even 2000.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Now I am beginning to doubt myself. Isn't the one o-ring (red arrow) to keep oil out of the void while the other o-ring (blue arrow) keeps coolant from the void and therefore weep hole??? :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,508 Posts
Now I am beginning to doubt myself. Isn't the one o-ring (red arrow) to keep oil out of the void while the other o-ring (blue arrow) keeps coolant from the void and therefore weep hole??? :)
Looks to me like the o-ring (red arrow) is redundant. The oil pump seal and another o-ring at the front of the pump keep oil out of the void.

Edit; thinking on it more, remembering more, that o-ring does also keep oil out of the void.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks to me like the o-ring (red arrow) is redundant. The oil pump seal and another o-ring at the front of the pump keep oil out of the void.

Edit; thinking on it more, remembering more, that o-ring does also keep oil out of the void.
According to the procedure for water pump replacement on Goldwing Docs, which I just reviewed, the smaller of the two o-rings ie, the hindmost ring, keeps the oil out, and the larger one keeps water out of the cavity. So your edit is correct.

And I thank you all again for your help. We're heading back to Pennsylvania tomorrow, but will be back to this bike in mid-August.

In the meantime, I'll be looking for o-ring/seal kits, just in case I mashed one (or more), when I replaced the water pump two years ago. I already have new front cover and water pump gaskets. Any suggestions for sources would be welcome Thanks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts