Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:(someone please help me i dont know where to start i am hopeing there is a way to check if the engine is seized i purchased an 85 gl 1200 interstate from a guy and it didnt run he said there was acouple of things wrong i figured i could fix it heck i always wanted a gold wing my grandfather had two of them well i must be the dumbest person around to belive the guy he told me needed a batt a starter a water pump and head gasket well i picked up a batt was looking at the water pump area on the bike and noticed that it had a crack so i got the part from the salvage yard put in some honda oil and sea foam thank's for the tip the starter clutch dont just spin now it catches so that leads me to my next issue i was not sure if the starter was bad like the guy said but it catches now and the engine dont turn over at all so i pulled the plugs out tried pop-starting it and the bike just skidded i am hopeing it is not seized is there a way i can turn it over by hand

and or is there a cheep place to pick up a 1200 motor i talked to the guy at the salvage yard and he said bare motor 350 to 550 and i asked him if there was a 30 or 60 or 90 day on the motor he said no retuns on anything they sell well i dont know if i want to get a mottor from them if its bad im out the money and dont want to get screwed

or how much will it cost to rebiuld the motor i have

please help me get her on the road

i would like to find out what is the problem with the enigne i have and fix it but if i have to pull it out i would like to go all the way with it but dont have a ton of cash as the rest of you know times are hard

thank you for any help you can offer me

christopher

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Don't own a 1200 but if it has a reverse make sure the button is not engaged because nothing will turn over and the back wheel will be locked until taken out of reverse. At least that is what my 1800 is like.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard.

Pop off the radiator and pop offthe timing belt covers. Once you do that, you'll see a center pulley(crankshaft bolt) right in the middle of the bike with 2 belts running on it. Don't mess with the belts right now, butpop off the spark plugs, and then try to turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise with awrench.

Then let us know what you got. Good luck.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

These engines are pretty tough! they will last for several hundred thousand when treated right. Their weak spot is failing timing belts which can cause pistons & valves to meet with a crash. This is the reason that iraqi Ram suggested that you dont interfere with them yet.

this wing might have been left outside for a few years, It's hard to tell but it might be rust ceised. Pull your plugs & blast a bunch of wd-40 in the holes. then let it sit so it can work.

If you are un able to turn it by hand, you might end up pulling the heads & inspecting the bores for rust or piston/valve collision damage. If there is no damage, you will most likely be riding before long, if there is piston damage, it is cheaper to swap in a new motor.

There is a for sale section on this forum where parts are sold by members. Just a lil more trustworthy than a total stranger.

There is also a downloadable manual in the "Forum faqs" section off of the main page.

Keep us posted & we will help you!

Welcome to the family!!!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

:?ok well i have pulled the well alot off the motor exaust radiator timeing belt covers and even the timeing belts it shouldnt be to hard to get it back to gether i hope well both of the cams turn but the cranck will not and i noticed in both of the back two cylinders were the exaust meets the heads theres some type of crap in there the guy did say it needed a head gasket i hope i can fix it i hope it wont cost alot the thing has close to 200,ooo miles on it i talked to the guy at the local honda dealer because the guy had some recites in the bike he was able to give me a run down on the bike he told me the guy ran the thing into the ground thats just great well he was the original owner thats kind of nicewell i might need a engine rebuild kit but have not been able to find one with everything needed pistons rods rings gasketsoil pump and so oni was looking at prices to get an idea of how much it would cost but all i can find is a gasket set

if any one can help me i really need to know whats wrong with this motor so i know if it can be rebuilt or if theres something small that could be keeping it from turning over like a broken clutch or anything ( note i dont have a lot of clutchpressure could it be something in the clutch if the guy over heated the motor )

well i dont know what to do next i think the crap in the exaust port might be colant and or something else it is white kind of like coolant and oil sort of

can i find out what the problem is and fix it with out pulling the motor all the way out i am guessing not because im thinking he seized the motor ran it dri on coolant thought it was just hot and kept on rideing because he said it needed a head gasket and by the looks of the crud in the exaust port i think it does but also when i was looking at the bike after i baught it the part that conects to the bottom of the radiator was cracked and when i pulled it off to put a junk yard part in its place there was no collant what so ever so i guess that just makes my day

i am really wanting to go and talk to the guy and say what the heck man what do you guys all think about me going and talking to the guy i dont know for a fact that he knew but i dont know what to do

thank you for you help guys and takeing your time to help someone else i thought i was the only one to do stuff like that my wife gets mad at me because i can not drive past someone in need she says im going to get killed some day lol well if i do i do but that wont stop me from helping people so it is nice to have someone helping me for a change thank's

christopher

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I'd say pull the heads and have a look.... you have most of the work done already.. you will need to get the engine freed up anyway before the belts (new ones are about $8 each at rock auto.. Gates T070)can go back on.. Enginesbecome locked for lots of reasons, but there is a good chance (IMO) that it will come free.... use lots of pentrating oil.. put the bike in 5th gear and rock it back and forth.. ortorque on the crank bolt.. but problem is, at the bolt, you can't turn backwards without unscrewing it..

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Put the bike in fifth gear and see if you can turn the engine then. I just went thru exactly what you are talking about. I replaced the engine. It was the best solution for me. At least you have found the best forum for advice and help.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

If you can't free up the engine you have, It'll be a whole lot cheaper to just get another one and swap it out.

Internal engine parts for these things are very expensive.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Biker John wrote:
If you can't free up the engine you have, It'll be a whole lot cheaper to just get another one and swap it out.

Internal engine parts for these things are very expensive.
Exactly what he said. If you can't free the engine with the methods above, and before buying new parts, check around for a complete engine. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the low cost of a used engine.

Also as stated above check the for sale/wanted thread. The members here are somewhat like yourself; always willing to help and go way out of their way to do so. If you are able to turn the engine....keep in mind that it is an interference engine. That means that parts occupy the same space within the engine itself. If the crankshaft is free and turns without the cams turning the pistons and some of the valves will try tooccupy the same space. Results bent valves and perhaps broken pistons, maybe even bent rods.

If you know that the head gaskets need replacingpull the headsand have a look. You may have rust in the back two cylinders (3 & 4). If you do, don't get too excited. These old wings are d#@# near bulletproof. I'll try to get a link set up, if I can find it again,so you can see other cylinder walls.

Terry

try this site: http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18198&highlight=rustcylinder

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Get those heads off or pull the cams off so all your valves are closed. You pulled your belts off and if those pistons free up they will slam into open valves!!!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Wait a minute...

maples wrote:
...both of the cams turn but the cranck will not...
What does that mean? Ihope you didn't try turning the cams without belts on? That's a big no-no. If you did turn the cams without belts on, then you bent some valves.

With all the unknowns, bad head gasketand high mileage on this beast, I'dkiss that motor goodbye and look for another one. They only go for a couple hundred bucks.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,272 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard Maples,

I've got to go with the new motor crowd on this one. Most reputable wrecking yards won't sell a motor they haven't tested.

And what you've got sounds like it's shot.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I will wager there's been water in one or more cylinders for a good long time. I had an 1100 engine that had that problem. It was salvageable. I gave the piston tops a good soaking in WD40 and then using a chunk of wood about the size of the cylinder bore, used a heavy hammer on one end of the block to drive the piston down a bit. I tapped the other pistons in their turn to get them loose. After that I used 600 grid wet/dry sandpaper lubed with oil to hand polish the area that was a bit rusted. That and some oil and spinning the engine over with the starter to clean things up a bit did the job. All four cylinders showed within a couple psi of 175 and the engine ran well,it smoked pretty well for awhile until the stuck rings came loose. Once they freed up and the old oil burned out of the mufflers the bike ran good and didn't smoke. I did steam so I had to change the waterpump but after that its new owner rode for two years with no problem until I lost contact with him.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

ok it has been some time now i have soaked all 4 cyl with pb blaster every day several times a day and a little steel wool to help get some of the crud out they do look a lot better but still forze i tried putting in gear and rocking it back and forth no go i think i will try a peice of wood and a mini sledge if i can get it free i will clean up the cyl's

i have found a local salvage yard that has a motor for 325 he said it has 44, miles on it i would have to take the sarter off mine and acouple of other things how much do you think i could get for some of the things off my motorthe stator and heads and cluthch cover and water pumpand if so how much for my block and crank it would need to be taken apart and rehoned and new pistons but then be a good motor i am trying to see if i would be able to get some of my money back seeing that some of the people on here just need a part not the hole motor and it would be better for me to get a different motor please dont get me wrong not trying to sell something to some one that is a useless part but like the block if someone had a compleet engine but a cracked block they might be intrested in my block and just have it honed and new pistons i hope you understand what im getting at

well its late so take care all and enjoy the ride it is what i live for

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,272 Posts
imported post

Hi again Maples,

If it doesn't free up on the first couple of hits, stop trying.

Your problem may actually be a piece of starter gear or other foriegn object in the motor. I think you're beating a dead horse but you don't want to make things worse.

I really think it's time for another motor.

You can try selling some engine parts on e-bay if you need to re-coup some expenses.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

ok here it is i finaly got it free it took acouple weeks of soaking and removeing rust and then i went all the way and took a 2x4 cut it to fit and hit it several timeswith a mini sledge pushing the worst cyl back in to the block i then used a i think its called a honing stone on my drill cleaned the cyl's moved half way around cleaned the other cyl's i kept that up for a while i would use carb and choke cleaner and then pb blaster and all cyl's look good and turns over with the starter

i do have another question on one cyl you have the jacket that the cyl sleeves get pressed in to you know the part that the rings touch well on one cyl the outer part not the part that the rings touch has a very small piece missing when i put the heads back on will the head gasket still seal or is this going to give me some problems

also any one know how much it should cost for a valve job i think it could use one one of the valves is stuck and it is not because of me turning the cams while still on the bike didnt crank on them and i belive it has something to do with the bike sitting for so long with water in the cyl's

sorry one more thing while i have it a part i wanted to pull the float bowl covers on the carbs to clean them out any easy way to do that???

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Not much help from me. Just a word that I'll pass along. Do NOT grind the valves. I read somewhere that they have a very thin "case hardened" area on their surface. Grind through that surface and you'll quickly have valve problems. A light lapping is about all they will stand. If valves truly need faced replace them. Maybe "new" heads off e-bay.

Sounds to me that the stem has corrosion (rust) between the stem and guide. Use your PB Blaster around the valve stem. Soak several days, as you did w/cylinders. Pounding on their heads could bend them. Again, bent valves means new or "new" used replacements. You might get by with rotating them. I hesitate to say this, and the big word, but.....a wooden dowel placed on the valve head (centered right over the stem) and lightly hitmay free the valveor bend it.

About your carbs, PM Bike and Dennis. He has a lot of recent experience with 1200 carbs.

Terry

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hey Chris, take a look in the for sale section for a head or 2 if you have problems with both, You might grab a set really cheap that have no issues with the valves.

As for the carbs, You should pull them right off & carefully pull them apart. There are tiny passages for the idle circut that are very hard to clean because they are so small but if they are plugged, your wing will not idle. Float height is critical for the wing to run properly. Just 2 millimeters out can make it run too rich or too lean but a clean set of carbs sinced will give your wing tremendous power!

You have a bit of work ahead of you but deal with 1 issue at a time & that bike will run soon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.