Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

totally confused on this one, I have an 85 1200 interstate, when i went to work on monday it was charging at 14.2 v(according to voltmeter installed on dash) went to leave work started good and ran good but voltmeter would only read 11.7 volts, 50 mile trip to get home checked voltage on battery 13.6 volts???? used 4 different meters in case of inaccuracy all said same thing, thought must be bad voltmer on dash, checked it reads correctly with a spare fully charged battery, decided to do stator test, no continuity to ground from 3 legs, checked volt ac volts, only puts out 37 volts at 3000 rpm, again tried four meters, all read close to same 1 read 35.5v, put meter on battery ran to 3000 reads 11.9v - 12.1, have been riding for the 2 days now waiting on new stator, each time i get to work or home put it on charger, but battery is at 13.6 volts so it wont charge. have tried spare battery same thing happens, battery in bike wet cell is 1 1/2 months old, spare is glass mat about 2 weeks old. how can i have 13.6 volts when only putting in 12 or less. have had since march and PO said new stator in january( after the other problems found on bike i dont believe him alot of things not done right)

thanks for any help, help i dont confuse anybody

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the 3 yellow wires from stator to regulator and eliminated connectors on same?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

have went through about 3months ago and removed all connectors that were issues and soldered and heat shrinked them did dog bone fuse also, went through reference forum and did all mods, but had to recut and check stator it is reading low at 37 vac on each leg but somehow still keeping up a full charge on battery, just the lights are dimmer then normal or the dark has gotten darker. rode home today with 2 55 watt driving lights on but the battery still maintained 12.1v when arriving home.

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the connections at the starter relay?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

You don't have an external alternator tucked in the left side fairing lower do you? :)

Your VAC at the yellow wires sounds low. Sounds like your two batteries are healthy and recovering well. I have heard of after market stators going out quickly after they have been replaced.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

i have found out that either the regulator or stator has short, all wires check out good, rigged a good voltmeter to regulator and went for ride, once in awhile it would spike the meter at 17 volts for a minute or two and then go back to 11 volts, got new oem stator on order and looking for regulator. will replace them both when come in too see if problem goes away.

thank you all for the advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.