Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just joined the forum to ask for a bit of help.

Just purchased this Aspencade last week. Seller rode 440 over the year he had it.

Said they put a new stator in after he bought it.

I have ridden it 1500 miles the past week with no trouble. Great bike.

Today about 8 miles from home the radio quit. Noticed the digital guages were screwed up. fuel light on and taillight warning on.

once I slowed to an idle everything was normal but as soon as I reved it the problem

reappears. stopped in parking lot and shut it off. Then when turning on the ignition switch we got nothing no contact of any kind. Like the battery was disconected.

After a few minutes tried again and everything was fine. Started home and after a mile the problem was back again. Got home and in the shop. Dead again for about

5 minutes now it starts and acts like normal.

Anyone see this before. Thanks Decal Wizard

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Right side of the battery lies the solenoid with the main fuse embedded in its body, inspect it and if the plastic looks melt or something, you need to install a new fuse holder, this time it can be a blade type fuse. also check the battery connections both positive and negative ends.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

The solenoid switch at the right side of the battery is famous for being a major problem with the electrical system. When the solenoid gets hot, the bike shuts down. After the solenoid cools down for a few min, the bike runs ok. There is no easy fix other than replacing the solenoid switch. Thats what I did. Honda has new one's.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I've been riding my 87 GL1200 Interstate for just over a year. Today I went to start it and 'nothing'. When I checked the dog bone fuse it just fell out of the holder. It had never been screwed in - just pressed against the screws by the plastic holder! Thanks to the advice from this forum, rather than screwing the fuse in, I'll buy an in-line blade fuse holder instead!
Just wondering how it managed to run for a year without having the main fuse properly screwed in!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

After posting I took the cover off the battery and checked the fuse on

the solenoid and sure enough it had a hairline fracture. Did not look like it had been hot but was losing conection when hot and when cool it would again make enough contact to start. This looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for the help.

We removed the original fuse and added a horseshoe type fuse holder.

Is the conector in front of the battery the famous stator plug?

The three wires are all red on mine and conect to three black wires.

Does not look like it has been hot in any way but again the stator was suppos to have been new last year??? I rode our old red 80 goldwing over 30,000 miles in the last 16 months and had no problems. Needs all new brakes plus it smokes a bit too much now and leaks. 108k so this 1200 is like a brand new one to us and rides and runs like a new one. Dont like my brothers 1500 at all. Hoping this will be our last

bike. Anyone here with 200k on a 1200?

Thanks for your help

Decal wizard.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,750 Posts
imported post

That's a good looking bike, it should go 200,000 easy if it's taken care of.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks Dave

Then it should last us about 7 more years. SWEET!!

The gut we bought her from stopped in the shop today and

was amazed that we have allready put 1460 miles on her the first week.

He said he wanted a harley road glide so he was selling the wing. HA HA!

He only road the wing 440 miles in the past year. His loss our gain.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Decal Wizard wrote:
Thanks Dave

Then it should last us about 7 more years. SWEET!!

The gut we bought her from stopped in the shop today and

was amazed that we have allready put 1460 miles on her the first week.

He said he wanted a harley road glide so he was selling the wing. HA HA!

He only road the wing 440 miles in the past year. His loss our gain.
Sorry to rain on your parade but, I bought a 30k mile, (documented) GL1200 aspencade. By 44k (when I sold it) I'd had to replace:
Alternator (did external mod as it had been changed once before)
Clutch, (nasty graunch on take up)
Fuel pump
Water pump
Electronic ignition unit
one coil. His gain - my loss. Maybe I got unlucky. Now got a GL1500

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Ouch

I will try to stay possitive.

stator was replaced but dont know about the clutch

Better get my rain coat out. LOL

Terry

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Dave,
On a more positive note- my mate's got a GL1200 aspencade. same colour/year as mine was. We had to replace his alternator (again an external conversion), but so far his has been sweet as a nut. We've done several continental trips, Gemanyt, Belgium, Switzerland and this year Spain/France. We've also done a round Britain trip- no problems at all. I think I just had a bad one and everything that could possibly fail did....Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.