Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My cassette player stopped working :( in the radio of my 85 Aspencade...anyone have the same problem and know the fix? Everything else works.

:12beige:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

That's not bad at all MR1200 and I've heard a lot of good things about Sierra also.

Muffy, if you're a real do it yourself type of guy,or, if cash is tight,you can easily take the player apart and clean and lubricate the bushings and mechanisms and install a new drive belt which is available at most larger stereo and TV repair shops. Just be very gentle with the unit when you have it apart and clean things inside with compressed air in a can and use alcohol to clean any greasy spots.

Vic

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

The problam I have on my 85 aspen cassette is that the motor works (I can here the tape going round) but no sound come's out radio is fine any idea's.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Is it just the sound from the cassette and the radio is fine? It could be the heads are dirty but more likely a broken belt.
I don't know if the (cassette) on my 85 works I havnt had a tape in it for years:)

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

How did you guys make out with your cassette players. My cassette player-the stock Pannie one will not produce sound either. All the functions work, ie FF FR,auto reverse, and the tape is moving when play is selected-just no sound. The radio works just fine.

I cleaned the head as best I could and even ran a head cleaner cassette dampened with isoproponal thru it. I have searched all avenues on this forum and have found no easy fix. Guess I will dismantle it come winter.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I have an adaptor that looks like a tape with a wire that plugs into my iPod. With this setup, I have no need to own any tapes. I prefer this setup over a CD player.

If you can find someone with on of these adaptors to try, it may be a better way to go.

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

My cassette players weird..sometimes it works..sometimes it doesnt..it generall doesnt.If you push the selector to cassette,it usually shows a blank screen on the displlay.meaning its not working.If it is working,it shows an arrow.its a crapshoot as to whether or not it`ll work. I`m just going to switch to an aftermarket,although the option of the radio raising volume as you drive automatically is nice!

Anyone in the market for a use Panasoonic AM/FM Cassette with a non working casstette?

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I have an MP3 player that stores (no kidding!) about 1000 songs. An adapter that allows it to play thru the FM radio was $40. I initially tried an FM adapter that was only $20 but the frequency would drift. $40 unit worked better. Nice because no wiring is required and the player and adpater fits nicely on the flat area below the handlebar pivot point.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I partially dismantled my radio/cassette tonight and checked and cleaned the rear contacts. I took off the top and bottom covers and could see that the belt was not broken and seemed to be still soft. I blew in a little wd 40 and some very light oil to whatever I could see was a moving part, and then blew light air into the whole thing to remove loose dust. It looked too scarey to remove the bottom board so I could get to the real mechanism.

Anyway, I reassembled and put it back into the bike and installed a tape. The FF/Rewind worked and the tape moved at a normal rate AFTER it was first put in, but ran too fast after using the FF/Rewind buttons--looks like something is still sticky. ALSO, I got music--not very loud-I had to use full volume to hear it but I could definitely hear Alabama singing, and singing at regular speed. The head looks very clean so I am not sure why the sound is diminished. The radio would probably use the same rear contacts to the speakers, and it is full volume, so I doubt it is the contacts. There is something else.

I know, I can get other things from which to hear music, but I am a fanatic about getting the stuff I have to work.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

I have the same thing going on with my tape player I get sound but only when its turned all the way up. I also cleaned everything I could but the same thing happens. The radio works great so the two have to be running on different circuits. Let me know if you have any luck.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Hawker22 I'm not trying to be funny,But you are sure your handle bar switch isn't in the "Mute" pushed in position??

Oh, for sure, any reminder or help is appreciated. I wish I had overlooked the mute button and my problems were solved. No such luck--I have almost worn tthe mute button out by trying it. It must work for the radio too as it mutes it when pushed. I still have not quite figured out the oval knob on the radio-the one for the mute level as it does not appear to have any effect.

The way I look at it is if it once worked, it will work again. I wonder if the auto level could have anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

With a little deeper look into the innards of the radio/cassette player, I think I may have found the problem with all those players whose radio works OK, butwill not produce sound from the cassette player. I noticed that there was a small lever running off of the tab of a small solonoid. If you look at the attached pic, the solonoid is highlighted by a handy paint brush handle pointer. That solonoid pulls in a small plunger which activates a lever which is attached to the player head and presses it unto the tape as it is wound thru. That solonoid appears to be failed or has no power, as it is not doing its job when you power on the player with a tape installed.

I proved this by removing the top cover and the front panel(no problem to do), and putting the player into the bike and selecting the player on. I could see the wheels turning, but no sound still. Then I took a small screwdriver and pushed the plunger into the solonoid. This activated the attached lever, and I knew that would press the head onto the tape, et voila---I got full volume great sound from the cassette. The ambiance button even worked great with a nice effect.

If you look at the pic, the plunger is just at the end of the depicted solonoid and is easily accessable with the player installed with the face off. Only other problem now is how to make the solonoid work, or how to get it out and find a replacement. I think it should be a pretty common part at any electrical store. The power wire is blue and runs around the motor housing and has a connector plug on the end. I tried seating that plug with no effect.

I am still looking but hopefully, when we get it done, it may help out a lot of bummed cassette players.

Success---- I was able to get a fix, if only temporary. I saw that the plunger needed a bit of help in retracting, so I cut a small cube of semi rigid foam( just big enought to fit in the space in front of the plunger and a a piece of metal sticking up about 3/8" from it) I made the foam piece big enough to have some push on the plunger, yet its compressionability allowed the plunger to come out when necessary. It worked, and when I assembled the face and covers, and put the player into the bike, I was getting sweet loud, undistorted music from my tape player. I guess if the spongy foam compresses, I can simply install a new piece.

Works for me, and hope it will for you.

Hawker22

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

:clapper:You found the problem!! Tried mine worked and sounded great. But your right the plunger doesnt always stay in , but now mine does I cut a piece of fuel line and fit it in between the plunger and it holds it in and acts like a spring. Tried many tapes , rewind , fast foward and it continues to work and sound great thanks. And the rubber fuel line will not ever hurt a thing:D

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

wingrider48 wrote:
:clapper:You found the problem!! Tried mine worked and sounded great. But your right the plunger doesnt always stay in , but now mine does I cut a piece of fuel line and fit it in between the plunger and it holds it in and acts like a spring. Tried many tapes , rewind , fast foward and it continues to work and sound great thanks. And the rubber fuel line will not ever hurt a thing:D

Jerry

So do you think we should call this the "foam fix" or the "fuel line fix" ??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
So do you think we should call this the "foam fix" or the "fuel line fix" ??
Did either one of you fellows try a contact cleaner or WD-40 on the solenoid? Sometimes dirt or grit can hang them up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.