Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have brand new Progressive fork springs and air shocks sitting in my office. The air shocks are a no-brainer but the fork springs seem like a slight challenge. I am a picture kinda guy so I searched the forums for a "how-to" on replacing the fork springs with no luck. I did see some advice about running 20 wt fork oil w/ no air but the majority seems to like the 15 wt. Any tips on the process would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

I don't have progressives, but I do use 15 wt in the front. Something you might consider doing. While the fork caps are off, drill and tap then for a small plug. Then the whenever you need to change the fork oil, all you have to do is drain them from the bottom, and fill them thru the plug on the top. No more wrestling trying to get the fork caps back on.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

Installing new fork springs is fairly simple. Support the bike so that the front wheel is elevated. Remove the drain screw from the bottom of each fork leg and drain the fork oil . Replace the drain screws. Remove the fork cap carefully ,remember it is under pressure and you dont want to get it in the face.Remove the top assist springs, the seperator washers and the main springs.( Just push up on the forks to expose the springs) You will not be re-using any of these parts. Pour in the correct amount of fork oil. In their instructions Progressive makes some suggestions for fork oil weight At this point I index the fork cap by making a mark showing just where it starts to thread in. You have to be careful not to crossthread it.Install the new springs( doesnt matter which end is up). Now I usually straddle the bike and use my body weight to push down and screw in the fork caps. Some others have devised tools to assist them in installing the springs and I think you will find them (the tools) if you check back on the forum. It is suggested that you do not use any air in the front now . .........GM

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

I just finished rebuilding my front end completely. I put the Progressive springs in and didn't have any problem pushing them down and starting the cap. Mark the cap and fork where the threads start and you wont have any problems. I use Transmission fluid as do a lot of other gentlemen on the site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.