Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

85 aspy. Air cut off valve.

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Bellboy40 
#1 ·
Is there a,way to know if the air cut off is working ? My wing runs kinda sluggish under acceleration. Gas mileage is around 35 MPG. I don't want to pull the intake manifold off and find out that it is working just fine. So I was wondering is there a way to know if it is working. I also get at times heavy exhaust fumes. Like if I've been out riding for a couple hours my jacket smells like exhaust no smoke it does not smoke at all unless it's been on the side kickstand for a while and I first start it up. Anybody can give me any input on this be greatly appreciated thank you. Sincerely Roger

#2 ·
35 MPG is about normal with E-10 fuel. I just came back from 7 days in Eastern OR and did over 1400 miles. Most gas stations in that area sell 91 Octane no ethanol. I got about 41 MPG with that.

The air cut off valve eliminates backfiring during hard deceleration. The air cutoff valve affects the idle circuits by cutting off air to the pilot air. This provides a little more fuel when the throttle is closed at higher RPM. Is you bike backfiring?

This is a carbureted engine. Mine will smell like gas, my wife reminds me of that every time I put it into the garage after riding it.

What do you mean by sluggish? How much load are you carrying? Why do you think it is the air cutoff?

#3 ·
No backfiring or popping at all on the D acceleration. What I mean by sluggish is kind of Boggy I guess you would say or maybe the first 15 seconds and then it comes out of it. Like let's say I'm cruising at 35 miles an hour and I give it gas it just kind of Boggy and then it comes out of it and gets real Peppy. It's just me and the Motorcycle so I weigh about 250

#6 ·
A faulty air cutoff valve usually will lead to back fires on deceleration, like an exhaust leak might.

You don't say, but how long have you noticed this "bog" like behavior? Was it ever "not like so" for you?

Early 1200s often were set up lean in midrange resulting in a bog or hesitation. There is a way to cure that usually without hurting mileage. My '85 I owned from 1995 until a couple months ago consistently got 45-50 mpg one up on most highways one up, even two up. If it had ever dropped to 35mpg, I'd have been worried. I have had it running distance on Interstate at 75 for hours, but usually my riding was 50-55-60 mph on US highways or State Roads … or the BRP.

GL-1200s have 4 carbs, a 7,500 rpm redline, and they thrive at 2,800-3,000 rpm and above. Pulling hard in higher gears at lower rpms is not their bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.