Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought my 1985 Goldwing last fall, had only a couple short rides before the stupid snow set in. Battery seemed weak when I boughtthe bike,but after a couple trickel charges it was fine,I kept it charged all winter. Bike always starts well, no problems. However on one of my first few rides this spring I lost one of my passinger floor boards. I stopped the bike but forgot to turn off the key. By the time I walked back to get the part, and came back, the bike would not start. The battery was too dead to turn the engine over. I thought that it was just an old battery that was finally dead. The next day I bought a new battery, and every thing seemed fine. We took a little 850 KM trip for the weekend, everything was fine until I stopped for gas on the way home. I was checking my mpg. and forgot the key on while I paid for gas ( only 2 minutes). When I went to start it it was dead. I eventually push started it and drove for home about 2 1/2 hours worth. Then 2 days later I tried to start it but it was dead again. I fully charged the battery again, and did a test. I turned the key on but did not startthe bike I left it on while I cleaned it for 15 minutes.I thenpulled the battery out to put it on the charger, the charger showed it needed 5 amps. I am stumped, any Ideas before I take it to the local Dealer to get the once over.The stator has been replaced by the previous owner. I have a lot of extra lights on the bike, but I don't run it with them on very often, not at all this year. Help! Blaine

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

could be multiple problems. when you left the bike "on" were the lights on as well, and is this a wing with more lights than a christmas tree? often 1200's had more lights than they could handle. check the yellow leads out of the alternator, this was a weak spot and the connectors may be shot (leading eventually to an alternator replacment-very pricey),many of us have hard wired these connectors. also check the conectors at the starter selenoid (another weak spot). unfortunately, you may have a voltage leakage at some of the fairing electronics if it is only losing a charge while on the accesory mode.

btw welcome to the board!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

First thing you have to do is check if the alternator is actually charging the battery. Run the engine and put a meter across the terminals and see what the readings are. There are a ton of posts about this on the forum that tell you how to check the alternator etc. that will be of help to you.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Blainero wrote:
I bought my 1985 Goldwing last fall, had only a couple short rides before the stupid snow set in. Battery seemed weak when I boughtthe bike,but after a couple trickel charges it was fine,I kept it charged all winter. Bike always starts well, no problems. However on one of my first few rides this spring I lost one of my passinger floor boards. I stopped the bike but forgot to turn off the key. By the time I walked back to get the part, and came back, the bike would not start. The battery was too dead to turn the engine over. I thought that it was just an old battery that was finally dead. The next day I bought a new battery, and every thing seemed fine. We took a little 850 KM trip for the weekend, everything was fine until I stopped for gas on the way home. I was checking my mpg. and forgot the key on while I paid for gas ( only 2 minutes). When I went to start it it was dead. I eventually push started it and drove for home about 2 1/2 hours worth. Then 2 days later I tried to start it but it was dead again. I fully charged the battery again, and did a test. I turned the key on but did not startthe bike I left it on while I cleaned it for 15 minutes.I thenpulled the battery out to put it on the charger, the charger showed it needed 5 amps. I am stumped, any Ideas before I take it to the local Dealer to get the once over.The stator has been replaced by the previous owner. I have a lot of extra lights on the bike, but I don't run it with them on very often, not at all this year. Help! Blaine
Blain, as mentioned above it could be many things from a stator problem, to resistance in the wire connectors, to a battery problem, to a regulator problem, to even a starter problem, to excess current draw, to?

We could write a book on your charging system & still not cover your exact problem.

I might suggest you enter the word STATOR in the search box at the top of this page then read till your eyes water. That alone probably won't point out your exact problem but you will a lot more informed on what could be the cause.

With a little more information on your part & hopefully the use of a voltmeter on your bike you should be able to give us a little better idea so we can help you find your problem.

Basically with a voltmeter installed (even temporarily) on your bike's batteryyou should be seeing anywhere from 12-14+ volts at idle (depending on if your cooling fan & brake lights are on), & 14-15 volts while riding above 3,000-4,000 RPM's. If you don't have that you have charging system problems & will have to run a test on the stator output wires, voltage regulator output, battery fuse, starter relay connections & wiring connectors.

We'll help you but will need to know what voltages your battery has at different stages of riding & idling & after sitting with the ign switch on.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks all for the responses, yes my bike does kind of resemble a christmas tree (very beautiful at night though). All your suggestions were very helpful. I guess I have to invest in a volt meter to track down the offending item.I will check some of the older postings re: stator problems. I now realize that my problem isn't just a simple A or B answer. Thanks again for the info, this site is a godsend for the newer wing guys who need some tips and tricks. Blaine

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Blainero wrote:
I now realize that my problem isn't just a simple A or B answer.
Blaine, you will also find when reading the archives that you aren't the only one with an electrical problem on the older Wing. Electrical problems on the older Wings are as common as weeds in your lawn. Most are easy fixes though.

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

A simple, inexpensive fix is to install a 50 or 100 amp alternator mounted externally on your Wing. I've been using one for almost four years and never have charging problems and even if I did I could remove and rebuild the alternator and reinstall it in about one half hour. Something to think about if you drive a Christmas tree motorcycle.

Vic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.