Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Low resistance, a few ohms between each yellow wire from stator.
Infinite resistance between each wire and ground.
I have the 3 dreaded yellow wires disconnected from the circuit.
From idle to over 3500 R.P.M. there is no more than 10 volts A.C.

Just confirming it's defective...

This would seem to me that the insulation on the windings must be breaking down. Is this how they usually die?

Best price on a replacement stator? I've seen $225 U.S. + shipping. I don't dare ask Honda here in Canada.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Where can the rest of us find one at that price? Sounds good. And it's new?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

RM stator

They have a store on e-bay:dude:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem. I found a stator at Bikebandit for $126 +shipping and handling Here is a link to it
http://www.bikebandit.com/product/15830?mg=3497&t=1&td=1

Here is the ebay store
http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-GL1200-carburated-GOLDWING-STATOR-84-87_W0QQitemZ120442623861QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0af09775&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1215|293%3A1|294%3A50

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

10 Volts A.C. to where, to ground or between the leads? What is the voltage from one yellow to another yellow lead?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Confirm you volt meter is working correctly. Check the voltage in a standard wall outlet in you house and make sure you are getting 110Volts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Just lost my second RM stator after 1000 miles. Not sure why, neither are they. 84 GL200A runs at 5-6 bars on hot day.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I did the rmstator.com about three years ago for $130 USD and had it in a couple days. Working great so far. At that time, my local Honda dealer wanted $310 for one. With the new o-rings, gaskets and some new bolts, I had about $300 in the whole job doing it myself. Don't bother buying a new stator plug, hard wire it. I would think if you lost 2 stators in 1000 miles, there may be other issues going on.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I've heard of several repeat failures with the standard type stators. Mine had gone twice in 34k miles, when I then replaced it with an external conversion. I just couldn't face pulling that engine to replace the original with the uncertainty of it going again...Steve

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

As always, good advise and suggestions ... Thanks!

I've compared readings between my two GL 1200's. The A.C. readings are between the 3 yellow wires from the stator. Good bike reads 50 volts, bad bike is only 10 volts.

I also compared and switched regulator units, no problem with either bike.

I have removed the faulty stator and I can see the insulation on the copper windings is coming off in places. So I think this would explain the low voltage readings.

By the way, I've finished rebuilding my '84 Interstate and put on a 110Kms., just a quick little ride around the block. It's running great again. To me it was well worth the effort.

Now I'm concentrating on the '85 Aspencade. I was starting with new belts, etc., and the stator suddenly decided to act up after Seafoam and an oil change.

Now before anyone panics about Seafoam, I think the stuff is great and does what it's suppose to do! I feel the previous owner didn't change his oil often enough and the oil's acid buildup had damaged the windings. Seafom simply removed the corroded insulation. What do you folks think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Uncle A wrote

Now before anyone panics about Seafoam, I think the stuff is great and does what it's suppose to do! I feel the previous owner didn't change his oil often enough and the oil's acid buildup had damaged the windings. Seafom simply removed the corroded insulation. What do you folks think?

I think there is a good chance thats may have happened. I think frequent oil changes no more than 3,000 miles and then seafoam should not be needed. JB

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

If you didn't seafoam, the problem with the stator would have just should up later anyways. So go thing you did it now. I am sure you would have rather found it now instead on a nice long trip somewhere.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Yes, I agree! I'm kind of happy it just went now, and not on our vacation next month.

We are lending it to our son so he can join us on vacation. It really is lucky in a strange way that this happened. Right now I have the time and the weather is cooperating. I don't mind the replacement job at hand. It gives me a chance to replace the shifter seal as well.

My wife bought me a table lift last fall, so this isn't too hard on the back. I've attached a pic of how I use the lift and a set of saw horses to remove the engine, which I can now do on my own. I use the saw horses with a sheet of wood and some cedar shims under the engine, then raise and lower the bike as necessary.

A new stator is on it's way, thanks to advise on where to shop and average prices given on this forum. If I had not used Seafoam ... well, who knows where and when this would have happened.

Belts and fresh fluids, etc. this week.

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Every time I see a GL1200 owner pulling the engine to repair the alternator I just cringe. It's so much easier better to use the external alternator like I've been running on my 84 GL1200 for the past 8 years troublefree. And if my externalalternator dies on the side of the road I can remove and replace it in 15 minutes. I guess some guys just like spending money and many hours to keep it original for whatever reason.

Vic

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I'm with Vic. Originality is fine if the original is reliable, but there is clearly a problem with the GL1200 stators, and I'd far prefer to eradicate that problem.
....Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.