Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi been working through a number of small issues that have been fairly easy to track down with the handy led diagnostics on the ecu. Most of the issues were tracked down thanks to this forum, but here is the new issue. I have the indication that there is an faulty ecu p1 sensor. What does this mean? I can't find out what to test or even where to look? Any Ideas or suggestions?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I'm not completely sure, but I think that will be one of the pickup/pulse generator sensors under the timing belt covers.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

stine555 wrote:
Hi been working through a number of small issues that have been fairly easy to track down with the handy led diagnostics on the ecu. Most of the issues were tracked down thanks to this forum, but here is the new issue. I have the indication that there is an faulty ecu p1 sensor. What does this mean? I can't find out what to test or even where to look? Any Ideas or suggestions?
P1 sensor is in the ECU, according to my supplement, in looking at the diagnostics, you MUST unbolt the ecu under the trunk, move it forward enough to see all of the lights, I took my bracket off and drilled holes in it so that I could see all of the lights, it sounds to me as if you are chasing the same issue that I started off with, in my case I couldn't see all of the lights, turns out that I had another light under the bracket.:action:If that is actually the only lights that you do have then, I would take the ecu out, clean the connector with a rubber pencil eraser, and while you have it out, drill holes in that bracket so that you can in the future see all of the lights. You can get the thing out without rmoving the trunk, but life is easier if you remove the trunk, then you can readily get to the connector for further testing, for some reason on the LTD, it seems that the NS sensor (crank angle) located under the timing belt cover is the first one to cause problems. I have other posts on here from chasing that issue when I firstgot my LTD. oregonwinger isTHE guru on the LTD

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I have the supplement as well. Looking at the fault codes if you see "W" on and "2" flashing then that is the P1 code. However, as Englishted and Hunter have mentioned you may not be seeing all the lights. If "3" is in fact also flashing then that points to the GR sensor or Camshaft angle sensor (Gr)on rear of r/h cylinder head.
The G/R and G/L sensors are found under the cover that the toe of your right foot hits while riding (4 bolts).
Idon't know what work you just completedso perhaps something got pinched or damaged in the process and you are actually getting a P1 code.
Have another look and let us know...

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys. this all makes sense. I just replaced the timing belts so I would be willing to bet that is where I made my mistake.

I like to call this my rescue bike. Every one else gave up on it and it was about to be sold as parts. The local bike mechanic didn't want to mess with it so I got it for a grand. Thanks to this forum another LTD is on the the road.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

THANK YOU

Right on the money it wasn't under the timing belt cover but I did find the loose connection under the false tank. Cool problem solved. Man if I ever hear people brag about how many miles of wire there is in something like the space shuttle I'll say Oh YA ever worked on an 85 GL 1200 LTD

Now all I have to do is figure out what happened to my temp gauge during this process

:claps:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Way to go! I love to see the LTD on the road!!:action:

Ben

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

stine555 wrote:
Thanks guys. this all makes sense. I just replaced the timing belts so I would be willing to bet that is where I made my mistake.

I like to call this my rescue bike. Every one else gave up on it and it was about to be sold as parts. The local bike mechanic didn't want to mess with it so I got it for a grand. Thanks to this forum another LTD is on the the road.
Well done :claps: They are a fine Bike. We put alot of miles on ours before we moved up to a 1500.

ENJOY!!!!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The little problems that are showing up seem to be from a whole bunch of sitting outside and a whole lot just sitting. The more I ride it the better it runs. Getting lots of practice "field stripping"it. As a wise man once told me. What man makes and man breaks man can fix. I live by this motto.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

You probably are aware of this already, but doeverything you can to make sure the grommets on the side covers, especially the left are good and tight, and maybe even use the plastic keepers that Rudy sells. What few that are still out there are super expensive. I love those old Limited editions! Good man for keeping it on the road!

:applause::applause:

Ben

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yes I did notice that they were expensive. I bought this bike from a photo and in the photo the left side cover was missing. Looked up the price.... Oh ya my cover was in the trunk thank goodness. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

stine555 wrote:
The little problems that are showing up seem to be from a whole bunch of sitting outside and a whole lot just sitting. The more I ride it the better it runs. Getting lots of practice "field stripping"it. As a wise man once told me. What man makes and man breaks man can fix. I live by this motto.
Nope they don't like to sit :NO::NO::NO:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

This winter it will be sitting but my plans are a complete checkup and at least stripped down to the frame for a good cleaning and wire connector check. The suspension is tired and I want to get a good look at the final drive. Time and money will tell what I have in the spring. But one thing is for sure. When the snow leaves and the weather warms it's gonna be running and we are gonna do some traveling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.